Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adware.generic Infestation

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 retinchet

retinchet

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 01 June 2008 - 11:00 AM

Hello everybody

I was here earlier in the week because of a virus problem which I thought was fixed, guess not though :thumbsup: I am having a major problem with adware.generic viruses that can't be eliminated. I used AVG 8.0 which says they're deleted, but on reboot they are back once again. I also tried Super AntiSpyware, and MBAM but they can't detect anything. I'm using Windows XP Professional, what should I do? Thanks

Here is a screenshot of the offending viruses: http://s295.photobucket.com/albums/mm141/retinchet/?action=view&current=viruses.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 skyfuser

skyfuser

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 01 June 2008 - 11:09 AM

Photobucket resized the image... my 800 degree eyes... D:
From what I see those aren't really REAL adware. I see ActiveX Compatibility. This is a new known issue from AVG 8. Look here for another forum's posts about this.
I see in very very tiny letters TitanShieldAntiSpyware. Now that's something to be suspicious of. Since those 2 aren't detecting anything try something different.
Download a2 FREE from here.
Posted Image
When it finishes installing, open it, then click Update Now. When it finishes updating, restart the program if necessary, and click Scan PC on the left, and choose Deep Scan. Quanrantine everything you find, then post a log.
"If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way." - Bertrand Russell

#3 retinchet

retinchet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 01 June 2008 - 12:55 PM

I finished the scan with no detections of any spyware. They're only detected on AVG 8.0, so I guess there really is a problem with version 8.0. Anyway, thanks for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users