Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scanner Ocr Problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 silver threads

silver threads

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 01 June 2008 - 10:41 AM

I do not know if scanner problems come within the topics covered here but I can ask!

I have been using a Mustek 1248UB scanner to read text on the back insert of CDs and the result is not perfect. There are several letters which are mis-read and I wonder why this is. I have downloaded the latest drivers which has improved the result a bit, but it is still making errors of recognition. I am using this particular scanner, which is a few years old, as my two latest Epson scanners, used for digitising my photo collection, seem to be directed more towards PDF, printer or e-mail output. I feel they should have an OCR capability but cannot find it on them. I need the OCR function for internet use and wonder how best to overcome this problem without having to edit the scanned text as I am reduced to at present.

Any guidance on how I can deal with this would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Edit: Moved topic from Photo Albums, Images, and Videos to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 02 June 2008 - 11:27 AM

You can (generally) use any OCR software with a scanner.

http://www.simpleocr.com/OCR_Software_Guide.asp

Abbyy Fine Reader's trial would be what I would use.

Generally speaking...unless something has changed since I last used a scanner and OCR software...any user needs to be prepared to deal with the fact that none of them are perfect. Character recognition is not a precise art yet.

Louis

#3 silver threads

silver threads
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2008 - 08:27 AM

Thank you for that info. I have Abbyy Fine reader installed - does it automatically work with a scanner, or do I need to do any configuring? As this scanner was built in 2000 I believe and only works at usb1 speed it is very frustrating. The Epson film scanner (Perfection 4490) will work to PDF e-mail and printer and maybe I should try it again, however I did not appear to be able to remove extraneous text in that PDF format. Is there a work around for PDF? I am using XP Home.

Many thanks.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,116 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:15 PM

You mentioned a number of things that don't necessarily tie together:

a. You cannot use scanner technology of 7/8 years ago...and expect results befittting today's scanners. A scanner built in 2000...is probably pretty fortunate to be functioning in 2008, whether USB 1, USB 2, or parallel port connector.

b. AFAIK, the .pdf file format has always had issues which are only peculiar to PDF documents. I don't claim to be knowledgeable about those, but a search of the Web should provide plenty of useful info.

c. Any info you desire on a particular piece of hardware...can probably best be obtained at the website of the manufacturer of said hardware.

Looking at your original post, I see a comment that does not seem to take these things and other realities into account: <<...wonder how best to overcome this problem without having to edit the scanned text as I am reduced to at present.>>

It's impossible to scan text using any OCR program...and not have to edit. Scan technology and voice-recognition technology are both much improved over the past 10 years...but neither is perfect.

Louis

#5 silver threads

silver threads
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2008 - 05:31 PM

Yes I realise that such an old scanner is doing well to manage OCR at all and in fact straightforward text such as a letter for example, is no problem. I was trying to get the scanner to read the information on the back insert of classical music CDs. Some of it was correct some was not and the layout was different. It seemed to get lost in reading composers names and the compositions. A few standard English letters were also wrong and I had to edit the result which was very tedious so I gave up - it was faster for me to type the text! I did not realise that OCR would need editing never having used it before and I was only using the old scanner as I didn't think the Epson 4490 Photo scanner would do the job. I will contact Epson for guidance but do not think the photo scanner will be suitable. Thank you for the information, which has been helpful.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,116 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2008 - 07:25 PM

Easily done, my scanner hasn't been used by me for several years now...but I remember OCR and my efforts to use such :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users