Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

TYPE FASTER!

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 wng_z3r0

wng_z3r0

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 03 April 2005 - 10:32 PM

Caution: History lesson ahead :thumbsup:

Back in the day, (before I was born) there were no computers. No ps2, no dos, no nothing.
Cavemen in those days used something called a "typewriter" Now one of the many problems of a typewriter was that you couldn't type too fast. If you did, the keys would criss-cross and jam. To solve this, the qwerty layout was developed. It was designed to PURPOSEFULLY SLOW PEOPLE DOWN

Now, once computers were invented, this problem didn't happen, but we still use the qwerty layout

BUT WAIT: there is a solution. The dvorak layout was developed :flowers:
It uses the opposite idea of qwerty, it is designed to be as efficient as possible.

Best of all, it is free to switch to dvorak. It just requires doing these steps:
1. go to start -> control panel -> regional and language options
2. Click on the languages tab
3. Click details
4. click add
5. check the box that says: keyboard layout /ime
6. Make sure dvorak is selected

Then you need to know the new layout. Here is a diagram
Posted Image (click the picture to enlarge it)
You need to either pop the keys out an put them in the new place, or you can download this pdf here and then print off stickys for the keys
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/layout.html

Happy typing,
wng

Edited by wng_z3r0, 03 April 2005 - 10:33 PM.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary #'s & those who dont
Just my 10 cents

HijackThis, Adaware, Spybot search and destroy, Zone Alarm firewall, Spyware Blaster, Type faster!!

Posted Image
Proud member of Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals since 2005

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2005 - 08:13 AM

I have tried Dvorak before and was never able to fully get it. (i tried it for about 2 weeks)
I have No Life
Course i did Learn on QWERTY Layout and i know where keys are just can't type the way that is "proper". and Now i play an online game people would be dead by the time i type a message to let them know "not to pull i'm out of Mana".

#3 wng_z3r0

wng_z3r0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2005 - 01:02 PM

I just told myself to stick with it....

And typing is easier and faster for me now.

wng
There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary #'s & those who dont
Just my 10 cents

HijackThis, Adaware, Spybot search and destroy, Zone Alarm firewall, Spyware Blaster, Type faster!!

Posted Image

#4 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 04 April 2005 - 02:30 PM

c hgoy o,cyjd.e yr cy! S)

holy bleep this is hard! (time taken to type this) 12 mins!!!

#5 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2005 - 02:52 PM

Reading yano's post ... priceless

(His Post sounds sorta like one of those Master Card Commercials)

#6 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2005 - 02:58 PM

lol

i almost got the home row keys

only one thing i got to say, i'm gonna have a heck of a lot more mouse clicks (i cheated on this sentence, :thumbsup: ) lmao

Edited by yanowhiz, 04 April 2005 - 02:59 PM.

#7 wng_z3r0

wng_z3r0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2005 - 03:28 PM

just keep with it:D
EDIT:
Try typing at this site:
http://www.powertyping.com/

Edited by wng_z3r0, 04 April 2005 - 03:31 PM.

Just my 10 cents

Posted Image

#8 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2005 - 06:46 PM

i found that site on google.com earlier, and i sort of like it except one thing i touwld be nice if it would show you where you are (progress wise)... :thumbsup:

also i have a friend with the latest version of meavis bacon and he says he thinks it can also teach you dvorak too :flowers:

Edited by yanowhiz, 04 April 2005 - 07:05 PM.

#9 wng_z3r0

wng_z3r0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2005 - 07:26 PM

Well whatever works for you.....

for me, I just went cold turkey and forced myself to use it at every occasion.... But it would be easier using programs.
I have heard meavis bacon is a good program... Hope it works for you

wng
Just my 10 cents

Posted Image

#10 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2005 - 01:34 PM

Yea that's what I've been trying to do. Use it wehenever I can. I didn't remove the US-qwerty keyboard from my settings that way (with the keyboard/regional toolbar i can switch between the two at a quick click.)

currently i'm stuck after school so yea no much here, since the one lab (internet) where teachers can schedule a date/time they can rent it (the rent lab, has a bleep load of restrictions and u have to log into the server). However, the other lab (pc classes) is completely opposite, you just click on the teachers name and log in and start doing whatever for your projects, the only thing they have changed in that room is they got rid of the "games" built into windowws (however on fridays, "Internet Day" almost everyone has at least 6 "flash" games. and there is nothing they can do about it because its a class about creating your own flash projects ;) :trumpet: . I've told you this because on the lab i'm in like 2 periods everyday (pc class) you can change the keyboard settings... :inlove: so yea i changed it to dvorak on like 10 out of the 20 computers. :) I didn't say anything, but only 2 kids knew how to fix it, and my friend who has it 5th (after me having 3&4) said something about how they had to ghost the machines... :thumbsup: wow, what a naive teacher... eh? lol

It was so funny when kids typed in there passwords (u go start> run> \\name of server\06fname\ and then u access ur files... well eveyrone on those machines 4th (i did it at the end of the 3rd period) couldn't access it, they were smart enough to open word to see what happened. I could have laughed my ass off, it was so funny. Good thing i've only told like 2 people (my friends) about this, and only the one knows how to do this, so yea i shouldn't have to worry about anything here... :flowers:)

oh btw, one thing i hate about dvorak... the shortcuts... CTRL+C, CTRL+V, CTRL+Z, CTRL+Y, etc... :cool:

anywho i had my share of fun today...

#11 wng_z3r0

wng_z3r0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2005 - 03:36 PM

try using the hotkeys part of this program
http://www.shelltoysxp.com/relocate.asp?pa...ingshotkeys.htm

(only for xp)

The problem is that it is shareware and expires in a month....
wng

Edited by wng_z3r0, 05 April 2005 - 03:45 PM.

Just my 10 cents

Posted Image

#12 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2005 - 07:14 PM

I got ur message wng, but yea, i think i'm gonna stick with the qwerty for now, cause of numerous things. making smilies is all messed up, and its driving me insane, but once i get the copy of mavis beacon, i'll try to work on it :thumbsup:

#13 wng_z3r0

wng_z3r0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2005 - 07:57 PM

Hmm... Does anyone know a good free tool to make custom hotkeys?
Just my 10 cents

Posted Image

#14 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2005 - 05:37 PM

Yea that would be nice or even a way to change the built in hotkeys for windows....

#15 DemiReticent

DemiReticent

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2008 - 05:56 PM

AutoHotkey (AHK) is a good program. After installation you can program your own hotkeys via any text editor. I use it to help reduce the time to write programs by eliminating the need to keep typing the same lines of code that I use over and over. It takes some time to get to know though, especially if you've never programmed before. There is no GUI, only a help file, but I'm working on developing a program that should be able to generate AHK scripts based on a user interface.

Download from Download.com: AutoHotkey for Windows

Edited by DemiReticent, 23 October 2008 - 05:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users