Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Locks Up

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gigate

gigate

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 01 June 2008 - 08:42 AM

My PC recently developed this annoying habit of locking up, especially when I leave it idle. I can't even move my cursor, and I have to hit the reset button to get it running again. I decided to reformat my PC, but I ran into yet another problem: it locks up when I try to copy my files to my external hard drive or flash drive, even if the file is only 700 mb. I have over 100 GB worth of data that I need to back up, and I can't get any of it done because of the lock-up problem.

Does anyone know of a good way to back-up large files or to get rid of the lock up problem?

Here's what I've done so far:

Tried system restore. It won't even open.

Tried Windows' backup utility. Again, it doesn't want to work.

Cleaned up my registry with ccleaner and eusing

I uninstalled all programs that I installed in the past week.

I tried copying my files in safe mode. Didn't work.

I reset the registry permissions to their defaults

Checked event viewer:
In the application event viewer, I'm getting a lot of errors relating to AVG7 (event 100),though I already uninstalled it, Application Error (event 1000), Application Hang (event 1002) and MsiInstaller (11334). In the system event viewer, I got SideBySide errors (events 59 and 32). I honestly don't know what these mean, and the only things I'm vaguely familiar with are events 59 and 32 which apparently have something to do with c++ runtime libraries.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

RAM: 4GB
CPU: Intel Q6600 2.4 GHz
GPU: Nvidia 8800 GT

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2008 - 09:29 AM

Scan for malware first...if system is clean, try to run chkdsk /r on the drive in question.

FWIW: Loss of routine key system functions is often a sign of malware problems.

http://www.symantec.com/security_response/...-070514-5200-99

Check for overheating?

Louis

#3 gigate

gigate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2008 - 09:57 AM

I believe the SideBySide stuff are actually these as they don't appear in scans, but do in the event viewer.

SideBySide1
sidebyside2

I did a scan with avira and SuperAntiSpyware and nothing came up. Also ran coretemp, and everything looks OK. I'll go ahead and try chkdsk. Thanks.

#4 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 01 June 2008 - 10:11 AM

can you post the log from superantispyware ?

to retrieve the scan result

Open the program and return to the statistics /logs section ; locate the most recent log ; left mouse click on it to highlight it and click the ‘view log’ tab

The log should appear in maybe note pad ; you need to copy and paste that log for examination
Once you have posted the log please close the superantispyware program

#5 gigate

gigate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2008 - 10:51 AM

erm... about that. Remember I said I uninstalled a bunch of programs in a mad attempt to get things working? My antivirus and antispyware were included in the uninstallation after I finished with the scan. I'll have to reinstall it and scan again in the morning (in this time zone). Really sorry for the inconvenience.

While I'm still here though, someone suggested to me that I use a linux live cd as an OS to backup my files. Can linux read ntfs formatted hard drives? Thanks.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 01 June 2008 - 11:41 AM

Yes, most distro's can do that - and you should be able to copy over to your external drive without issues also. IMO the backup is the most important thing right now. Once that's done and your data is safe, then we can move on to fixing the issues that you have.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 gigate

gigate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2008 - 07:27 PM

I'm downloading slax right now. After that, I'm going for a full reformat. If the issue persists after that, it would most likely be a hardware issue, yes?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users