Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where Is The Backup Button?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Bone Idol

Bone Idol

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 01 June 2008 - 05:57 AM

dear O dear o dear.

Could somebody please enlighten me as to where is the backup button that will start the backup process?

I've backed up before with EZBackitup, but I can't remember how I did it. I've now got the files and directories in the top panel waiting to be backed up, but where O where is the GO button? The Start button? The Backup button?

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 01 June 2008 - 06:34 AM

Save the current job (Job -> Save) and see if that enables the Start Backup option
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#3 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2008 - 06:52 AM

Save the current job (Job -> Save) and see if that enables the Start Backup option

It did! Thank you TS.

I don't have the remotest idea why 'Save' is put there instead of 'Start', or 'Backup'. Save the Backup job simply makes no sense to me.

#4 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2008 - 08:48 AM

I think you have to save the settings before it let's you start a backup using those settings.
Glad it helped.
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#5 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2008 - 06:30 PM

I am still in the market for a piece of Backup software whose interface is intuitional, straightforward, and has the activity buttons labeled in such a way that they are not ambiguous in their meaning.

We've got computer geniuses Out There creating brilliant software, but then who hand over the task of writing up the explanations and the Guides to illiterate borderline retards who have absolutely no talent whatsoever for designing software interfaces.

I've just yet again been totally bamboozeled by EZBackitup.

I will continue looking for that needle-in-the-haystack that is a user-friendly, intelligently set-out interfaced piece of Backup software.

I don't care if it costs me 100 Bucks. I'm just looking to find one that has been designed to follow a logical sequence that is clearly marked out in its Toolbar.

Dear O dear O dear.

I'm beginning to suspect there's some sort of conspiratorial 'Schadenfreude' in operation here...

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 14 June 2008 - 06:39 PM

The easiest to use that I've found (but I don't use it for backing up - only for imaging the hard drive): http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2008 - 08:27 PM

Thanks for your interest, usasma.

Acronis... ? Dear O dear O dear... I battled for ages to make Acronis work for me, but in the end I had to concede defeat.

Same with a whole collection of others. You use this to 'image' your 'harddrive'. I'll Google what that means, and then I'll try to do the same. I think that might be something I need to do.

Only three weeks or so ago my hard drive crashed irreparably and I had to have another one installed. The old one is now a door-stop. But then I discovered that my Windows XP H/E Installation CD is no longer capable of doing a 'Repair' or a fresh installation. After booting from this CD it no longer offers me any options for doing a Repair as it used to.

So it cost me a painful $189 to have the new HDD hardware fitted in - and a fresh Windows XP Home Edition installed.

I'll check out Acronis again.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 15 June 2008 - 06:14 AM

Newer versions of Acronis have the ability to backup certain parts of your system (I don't use this feature).
Imaging your hard drive is the process of creating an exact copy of the entire contents of your hard drive. It's not commonly used for backups because it takes longer to do, and it takes up a lot more space.

The benefit of imaging is that, should Windows give you problems, you can put the image back on your hard drive and you'll be back where you were the day that you made the image.

If your Windows CD won't give you an option to repair - what message does it give you when it first boots up?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2008 - 06:39 AM

So what you're saying is that 'imaging' your hard drive makes a copy of your operating system as well as all of your program files, directories and desktop items.. ?

Right now I can't remember what it said when I booted up with my Windows Installation CD, but it deviated from the usual sequence that used to be displayed whenever I did a repair or a fresh install. I remember it gave me two choices, and in both cases it later said there's not enough room on the hard drive.

I think I've solved my problem with the EZBackitup software. In future I'll avoid trying to set it up to do scheduled backups. Right this moment it's running okay with doing a full backup into my external harddrive E:\ (160MB).

#10 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2008 - 08:48 PM

Some weeks ago I set up NeroStartSmart to do backups of my system. The problem is it never completes the job, but only goes on to stop short with ERROR messages.

And NOW the problem is I can't cancel this weekly Nero Backup schedule. One day every week the scheduled backup opens up and starts the Backup process. I can't find where to cancel this.

Where O where is the 'OFF' switch?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2008 - 05:11 AM

Open Control Panel, and open Scheduled Tasks.
(You might need to choose Classic View)
The backup task should be there, and can be deleted if you no longer want it to run
Tom

Tswsl1989

#12 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2008 - 05:35 AM

Thanks for that, tswsl1989!

I've made a note of this for future reference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users