Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

tea timer question

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 splackavellie

splackavellie

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 03 April 2005 - 08:47 PM

i downloaded AIM and everytime i try to run it, S&D tells me that an important registry entry has been changed.
its says:

New Data: C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl

what happens when i dont pick a choice of allowing the change or denying the change. i've just been hitting the 'x' button

i would post a screen shot but i dont know how to do that here

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 putasolutions

putasolutions

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 04 April 2005 - 04:37 AM

I would suggest that you remove AIM from your Startup list, using MSconfig and start AIM manually

#3 splackavellie

splackavellie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2005 - 10:32 AM

how do you do that?

what is AIM doing in the startup list? it doesnt automatically start-up when i turn on my computer or anything.

#4 Notorious

Notorious

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 04 April 2005 - 02:07 PM

how do you do that?

what is AIM doing in the startup list?  it doesnt automatically start-up when i turn on my computer or anything.

Hi splackavellie.. :thumbsup:

Go to Start, --> Run and in Open window type msconfig
System Configuration Utility window is going to popup. In section General select Selective startup than go to and click section Startup new window is going to show.
There you'll see all programs running on your machine. Uncheck everything except your System Tray and virus/spyware programs (or any other program you want to startup with Windows..). Click apply, restart your computer and you're set..
Hope this will help you.. :flowers:

Edited..
I just saw your question was about Spybot S&D.. Well my personal preference is to enable/disable programs with System Configuration Utility.. However, you can use Spybot to do (more or less..) the same thing as well.
Open Spybot, in Mode choose Advanced --> Tools --> System Startup Uncheck AIM and you're set..
While you're at it, it would be smart idea to check Settings --> Ignore products --> All Products and scroll down (slowly) see if ther's check mark in My Search, New.Net, Side Step and maybe few more.. Uncheck them.. Have phun.. :trumpet:

Edited by Notorious, 04 April 2005 - 02:37 PM.

Posted Image

Down in the bayou, Bubba called an attorney and asked, "Is it true they're suin' the cigarette companies for causing people to get cancer?
"Sure is Bubba. But why you asking?"
"Cause what I want to know is, I was thinking, can I sue Budweiser for all them ugly women I've slept with?"

#5 splackavellie

splackavellie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2005 - 04:26 PM

AIM wasnt in the System startup. I guess thats because i still did not allow that change when tea timer asked? Should i just click "Deny change" next time it asks me when i open AIM?

Also what were those things you told me to uncheck in Spybot? What are MySearch, New.Net and all those others? Sorry im nosy...i'll follow directions but i would also like to know why or what i am doing.....hoping to learn more this way.

thanks

#6 Notorious

Notorious

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2005 - 04:38 AM

Should i just click "Deny change" next time it asks me when i open AIM?

Also what were those things you told me to uncheck in Spybot?  What are MySearch, New.Net and all those others?  Sorry im nosy...i'll follow directions but i would also like to know why or what i am doing.....hoping to learn more this way.

thanks

I don't use AIM so I can only guess when you open AIM, in preferences should be an option "Startup with Windows" if you uncheck it, it won't come up anymore..
Here are few screen shots to illustrate steps you need to check Spybot..

Select "Advanced"

Posted Image

Click on "Settings" and than on "Ignore Products"

Posted Image

In "Ignore Products" window you'll see tab "All Products" with all malware listed. Take care that nothing is checked. It's possible that Spybot has been compromised with a couple spybots that managed to place themselves into the "Ignore products" list and are excluded from a system-scan..

Posted Image

Cheers.. Notorious.. :thumbsup:

Edited by Notorious, 05 April 2005 - 04:51 AM.

Posted Image

Down in the bayou, Bubba called an attorney and asked, "Is it true they're suin' the cigarette companies for causing people to get cancer?
"Cause what I want to know is, I was thinking, can I sue Budweiser for all them ugly women I've slept with?"

#7 DeCipher

DeCipher

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2005 - 10:51 AM

To stop it from automatically running when windows starts do the following.

Double click aim
Hit setup
Go to Sign On/Off page
uncheck Start aim when windows starts.
Click ok

Keith
Posted Image

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 05 April 2005 - 03:08 PM

SideStep
New.net
LSP.New.net
MySearch

Should not be unchecked in Spybot.

A responce was asked from Tom Coyotes:

These are specific infestations which it is not safe to remove with spybot, or most other automatic removal tools. If you have tampered with this list, it is probably safest to uninstall spybot, remove its folders and clean install and update it.
Of course, if you are clean and you immunize, you should be entirely safe , since they cannot infect you in the first place.

Newdotnet will break your internet connection if you remove it with something like spybot. Therefore they put it in the ignore box. Originally it did not do this, so spybot could safely remove it; but then the nefarious masters at newdotnet decided to modify it so that if you use spybot or adaware or something like that to remove it , it will break your internet access so you cannot go online.
So leave the checks there , the same applies to the other ignore items they have added.

They have to be removed manually , according to the installers instructions at their home page, or with special removal tools."

As for the DSO exploit, you can either fix or ignore things after you remove it.
Once removed , you are safe; so it is more an annoyance than a danger .

And no, neither spybot nor ad-aware is partnered with any malware foisters. The problem is that several malware authors responded to thye proliferation of automated removal tools by altering their products in such a manner as to make automated removal unsafe or extremely difficult.

Most of these are very obvious, for example newdotnet adds an add/remove programs entry which actually works.

Acouple of posts, on different boards, that discuss this:
Besttechie
G4
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 Notorious

Notorious

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2005 - 04:37 PM

SideStep
New.net
LSP.New.net
MySearch

These are specific infestations which it is not safe to remove with spybot, or most other automatic removal tools. If you have tampered with this list, it is probably safest to uninstall spybot, remove its folders and clean install and update it.
Of course, if you are clean and you immunize, you should be entirely safe , since they cannot infect you in the first place.

I unchecked everything in Ignore Products since I have Spybot and never had any troubles.. I didn't know of this article tho.. Thanx for allerting me on this one TG.. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2005 - 10:15 AM

Do yourself a favor and dump AIM (AOL Instant Messenger). And for that matter YIM, MSN, ICQ, and any IRC client you maybe using. I have been using Trillian 3.1 Basic and it works like a charm. I had countless conflicts. Trillian is one program that handles all of the above list clients. If you have mulpible users the Trillian Pro will let you switch between users on one machine. It costs alittle but it's worth it. And Trillian has NO POPUPS!!! Try it.

acklan
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#11 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2005 - 12:17 PM

You're quite welcome, Notorious.
I knew I'd seen Spybot and those 4 mentioned somewhere before.
I just had to find where it was. lol
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users