Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Important: Is Vista Ult. 32 Bit (x86) Faster Than 64 Bit (x64) My Orig Os Came With Xp 32 Bit

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 iSIKH

iSIKH

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 31 May 2008 - 10:55 PM

I have 2 gig ram an AMD Athlon 64 x2 processor TK-53 and when I got my laptop it came with xp home 32 bit and now 2 days ago I formatted my hard drive and got vista 64 bit and now I am thinking would it have been a better idea for me to get 32 bit...would performance or anything increase would it be better in my case? Also I have arconis true image the backup program and I made a backup and created a new partition if I reinstall vista ultimate 32 bit but first format my hard drive the arconis backup partition and my primary partion will they automatically merge? how would i merge them please answer all my questions immediate help would be greatly appreciated.

IMPORTANT EDIT: Also I do not seem to have any problems with drivers or my network or anything.

Edited by iSIKH, 31 May 2008 - 11:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 01 June 2008 - 05:50 AM

The x64 bit version is not necessarily faster than the x86 (32 bit) version. The primary benefit of using a 64 bit OS at this time is it's ability to address more than 4 gB of RAM. This page talks about the benefits and drawbacks: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/vista-...hop,1775-5.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 iSIKH

iSIKH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2008 - 12:33 PM

And what would guys recommend for me?
Also problem: I just realized I do have a problem with graphics card I believe...sometimes my screen randomly glitches and I have to force shutdown is this because of my graphics card/driver? Under system info it says
Adapter Type: ATI Radeon Xpress Series (0x5975), ATI Technologies Inc. compatible
That's my graphics card right? Is there a driver for x64 for it or only x86? And what would be causing the random screen glitch problems that make me force shutdown?

Edited by iSIKH, 01 June 2008 - 12:42 PM.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2008 - 01:13 PM

A 64-bit OS can be faster than 32. But generally only if the program is native 64-bit and not a 32-bit program running in 64. If there is a fairly recent driver for your graphics card at ATI...err AMD's website, then is should be both 64 and 32-bit compatible. Updating the driver may help solve your problem. Check this site to find an appropriate driver.

3939.png

#5 iSIKH

iSIKH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2008 - 01:34 PM

How do I find out what kind of card I have...you know what I am just going to format my hd and install 32 bit

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2008 - 03:52 PM

If you're running XP click on Start then Run, if you're in Vista click on Start. Then type in dxdiag and hit enter. This should open up the DirectX Diagnostic Tool. At the top, click on the Display tab. It should say, under Device, the graphics card you have. Mine says Name: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS.

3939.png

#7 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the &quot;Logic Free Zone&quot;, in Md, USA

Posted 01 June 2008 - 04:10 PM

iSIKH - This free for use program will give you more information about your system than you probably want to know.

System Information for Windows.

It's listed in the BC's Freeware Replacements Programs.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#8 mckooter

mckooter

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2008 - 04:19 PM

ive been bouncing back and fourth between 32/64 now both on vista and ubuntu. and after balancing out the differences ive really come to one conclusion about it:

64 bit is much faster IF all the programs you use are 64 bit (which im willing to bet they arent). 32 bit applications run slower on a 64 bit system, so unless your system is being used for a specific application that runs @ 64bit, then 32 bit will be better for you in daily use.

//mck
You can just call me Chris

I found out I was Marilyn Monroe in a previous life

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2008 - 07:41 PM

64-bit runs much faster if the programs that are used are 64-bit themselves. 32-bit programs running in a 64-bit environment will suffer a slight performance hit. Unless the program is badly coded, or if the computer is old and slow, the slowdown is usually minor. Many companies are releasing 64-bit software in tandem with the 32-bit stuff. For instance, some games are released on one DVD with contains both versions. During install, the program determines which bit version is supported for the PC (either 32 or 64-bit) and installs it.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users