Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing An Item In The Control Panel/uninstall Programs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 needlotsohelp

needlotsohelp

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 31 May 2008 - 09:33 PM

A bit frustrated here......I purchased a new version of Norton 360 to install into my laptop. When trying to install, the computer tells me I already have another variant of 360 installed, and I need to uninstall it before proceeding. So........into the control panel I go, click on Norton, click uninstall, and then, to my surprise, I get an error message: "the specified module could not be found". I search the entire computer for any symantec or Norton files, all which have been deleted, go back to the control panel, but there it still is, taunting me. I decided to try to install the new version, and it is still telling me to uninstall the old one. BUT IT"S NOT THERE!!! How do I remove this from the control panel? Do I need to do something with the registry files? HELLLLLPP!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 01 June 2008 - 04:59 AM

hi,,, i hate anything by norton,,, you have to have a fight with it to get it to leave,,,lol,,, here's a link,,, go to the manualy remove bit further down the page and follow the destructions,,,lol,,,,,,, good luck.

http://www.pchell.com/virus/uninstallnorton.shtml
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 01 June 2008 - 05:59 AM

Norton sinks it's claws into your registry and won't let go easily. I had an issue at work with Norton 360 where it wouldn't install because it was originally installed with the incorrect date set on the system. Calls to Symantec tech support weren't able to help us either.

We spent 4 hours deleting stuff from the registry before we could make it install (after using the Norton Removal Tool). Just deleting keys with Symantec or Norton wasn't sufficient - as some of the keys weren't named after the company.

The "cure" was to search for every Norton/Symantec key in the registry. If the key above it was a part of a system key, we left it alone. If the key above it was part of a Norton/Symantec key, we investigated another step up the tree. When we came to a key that wasn't part of a system key and was directly above a Norton/Symantec key - we deleted that key. Needless to say, we backed up the entire registry just in case it didn't work!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,662 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 02 June 2008 - 06:48 AM

This just frustrating, I know:

I have spent some time yesterday to remove Norton 360 from a laptop. Used Add/Remove and then Norton removal tools, then checked and removed any Norton/symantec folders. Still the Add/Remove item (Norton 360) was there. Tried a registry cleaner (I know how to use one, don't recommend to others who don't know how), it did not remove the entry.

Perhaps it was better to use the removal tools right away and not Add/Remove.

The solution to remove the add/remove entry: Search the registry for Norton 360 (go to start > run > type regedit > under Edit menu select Search and make sure all the 4 boxes are checked, enter Norton 360 . when an item was found use F3 to search for the next item).
I got two of them, one of them was pointing to Packard Bell setup utility and the second one had a value name: Display in it. I Highlighted the value and removed it.

Make a registry backup before doing it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users