Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downloads Of Mp4 Really Really Slow

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jackiemarie

jackiemarie

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 31 May 2008 - 07:44 PM

This is probably too simple, but here goes--
A website is having a conference and they are streaming the conference real time using QuickTime. As each session finishes, they put that session up on the website, and it is available to download as a mp4 (right click, save target as etc).
However, 3 days now I haven't seen more than 10 seconds of viewable streaming at one time because the picture is broken up into hundreds of pieces, the sound is choppy, and mostly just stops; I have to x out and go into the conference again and again.

Even worse, the archives are downloading insanely slow. A 1 1/2 hour session is downloading to my desktop at 29KB/Sec and it says it will take more than 5 hours; the same goes for all the sessions.
I've contacted the web streaming staff and they have no idea of how to fix these things...

I have uninstalled and reinstalled QuickTime, made all the suggested technical adjustments, my laptop is fairly new, 2 GB memory with 50% free, HP Pavilion Media Center Edition, Windows XP Pro, is defragged etc.

I've never had any trouble watching streaming media before and have never had download speeds this nutty slow....QuickTime seems awful and useless.
Any suggestions? I paid to watch this conference and to be able to download the archives; at this rate, it will take weeks.
Thanks, jackiemarie :thumbsup:

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

EAM, MBAM Pro, MB Anti-Exploit 

HP g7-1310 - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit - Intel i3 - 6 GB Ram

What you value is your reward.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 31 May 2008 - 08:04 PM

you should be able to download without streaming, if your figures are right they probably can't stream to everyone fast enough

5 hrs x 60 min/hr x 60 sec/min

18,000 sec x 29KB/sec = 522 MB for a 1 1/2 hr video, rather high resolution and would require a super web server to simultaneously stream to multiple users

sounds like they don't fully understand video and internet bandwidth constraints

I find that often with quick time users

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

this program will analyze the video and show you why it won't stream well compared to low resolution

Edited by DaChew, 31 May 2008 - 08:07 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 jackiemarie

jackiemarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 31 May 2008 - 08:22 PM

That's what is really puzzling...I am right clicking the archive and downloading it with nothing else going on....and it's still 29KB/Sec.
They are able to stream live to about 3000 people, but many people have complained that the picture is breaking up and complained about the download times being crazy slow.
I'll try that link.
Thanks, jackiemarie

Edit: Deleted unnecessary quote, to be more dialup friendly. ~ Animal

EAM, MBAM Pro, MB Anti-Exploit 

HP g7-1310 - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit - Intel i3 - 6 GB Ram

What you value is your reward.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users