Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Has Anyone Ever Heard Of Msotml1.exe

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 31 May 2008 - 04:53 PM

This keeps popping up in my windows xp temp file. How do i get rid of it without spending money for some program? I'm jeep dang'it!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 31 May 2008 - 07:06 PM

Probably is ,did you spell it correctly.
Are you running XP or another?
What antivirus and spyware tools are installed?

Let's get a scan log.. If you are using Vista then, Run As Administrator

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on Download_mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
  • MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue. If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
  • On the Scanner tab:
    • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
    • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
  • Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to restart your computer. (see Note below)
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts. Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,595 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2008 - 11:03 PM

Before running MBAM, go to jotti's virusscan or virustotal.com. In the "File to upload & scan" box, browse to the location of the suspicious file(s) and submit (upload) it for scanning/analysis.
-- Post back with the results of the file analysis.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2008 - 11:18 AM

This keeps popping up in my windows xp temp file. How do i get rid of it without spending money for some program? I'm jeep dang'it!

Good morning Boopme,
Its 8:30 and the sun has yet to shine, but the birds are singing in the back yard and the air smells fresh and clean. What a night we had around here with server storms that moved through the area. I downloaded your scan and as the lightning cracked I ran it! My computer is old and started to smoke! The brain box broke and parts flew out but I just grabbed the duct tape and yelled “MORE POWER”!! The scanner moaned as it collected the infected files. I yelled out to my wife huddling under the basement stairs, “Its alive, it’s alive”!! She yelled back “YOUR MAD, WE’LL ALL BE KILLED” but from the ashes I created life thanks to you!! The scan collected over 140 infected files and the odd thing was, they were all called ROGUE.EVIDENCE ELIMINATOR. I bought and put evidence eliminator on here several years ago. It’s just a cauch cleaner. It never said a word about anything else. I ran the scan again and it found two more infected files of rogue. evidence eliminator. I rebooted and ran it again and this time came up clean. So what about MSOHTML1 ? I posted in Operating systems > Windows xp home and professional with a post called “where did my free space go”? A guy by the name extremeboy showed me a site about MSOHTML1. http://spywarefiles.prevx.com/RRHDJC436194...OHTML1.EXE.html I guess its bad news and can over take programs. Maybe it over took my evidence eliminator? I want to put a clean version of Evidence Eliminator back on my computer but how do I know the same thing won’t happen again? I use windows xp, as we speak I’m running a scan with spyware doctor and Norton anti virus to see what they come up with. I see now I should have run a virus scan with virustotal.com or jotti’s.virusscan first but didn’t. I tried to do a scan with jotti this morning but it wouldn’t let me. It would just say o bytes uploaded so I’m doing one right now with virustotal but its taking forever. For the most part I would have to say my computer is running much better. Now, if I can work out a few more kinks and get my Frankenstein computer to read and write I will be happy.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,416 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2008 - 11:31 AM

Msotml1.exe
MSOHTML1 .I'm sure one was a typo. Would you submit the correct one to one or both the services mention by quietman and post their reply in your next reply,thanks.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2008 - 11:32 AM

Before running MBAM, go to jotti's virusscan or virustotal.com. In the "File to upload & scan" box, browse to the location of the suspicious file(s) and submit (upload) it for scanning/analysis.
-- Post back with the results of the file analysis.

Good morning quietman7,
I am uploading the file MSOHTML1.exe to virustatal.com. It is taking forever. Its been loading for about an hour and a hafe, is this normal? I have a dial up modem and i know their slow. Am i using thew scanner right?

Edited by buckshotdad1960, 01 June 2008 - 11:33 AM.

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,416 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2008 - 11:52 AM

I don't think it should be more than a few miniutes. Stop and retry.

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2008 - 12:39 PM

note:

the following rant is mine and in no way anyone else's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evidence_Eliminator

you've been had, a simple google search shows a pattern of behavior associated with the word or classification of ROGUE

there are those from the darkside that employ intimidation and lawyers to take your money and run

I support those that take a hard line on such unethical activities

and when i get a chance I just pull their arms out

Edited by DaChew, 01 June 2008 - 12:39 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#9 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2008 - 07:03 PM

Msotml1.exe
MSOHTML1 .I'm sure one was a typo. Would you submit the correct one to one or both the services mention by quietman and post their reply in your next reply,thanks.

wow, i did not catch that! MSOTML1 is wrong! There is an H in it. MSOHTML1 is correct. Next time i'll double check. Sorry!

#10 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2008 - 07:18 PM

note:

the following rant is mine and in no way anyone else's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evidence_Eliminator

you've been had, a simple google search shows a pattern of behavior associated with the word or classification of ROGUE

there are those from the darkside that employ intimidation and lawyers to take your money and run

I support those that take a hard line on such unethical activities

and when i get a chance I just pull their arms out

lol! well pulling their arms off like they were bugs is probably in order! Thanks for the tip! Live long and prosper and may the force be with you!

p.s. Lay off the rogaine!

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,416 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2008 - 08:36 PM

Were you ever successful at uploading MSOHTML1.exe to Jotti and/or viruscan?

#12 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2008 - 08:42 PM

I don't think it should be more than a few miniutes. Stop and retry.

I try and upload the file msohtml1.exe to virustotal.com but it says that "o bytes size received' even if i check the ssl box. Do you know why? I know the file is on the computor because i just deleted it from my temp file again.

#13 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,416 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2008 - 08:50 PM

That's strange ,in the meantime tryJotti's malware scan

#14 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2008 - 09:01 PM

I wonder if it's an older remnant reloading from prefetch, certainly rare w/ only 2 google hits

if jotti comes up clean I would do a clean with ATF cleaner
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#15 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2008 - 09:14 PM

Were you ever successful at uploading MSOHTML1.exe to Jotti and/or viruscan?

No, not virustotal but i just did jotti and it found nothing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users