Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hey i'm new! (please read this)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 maverick

maverick

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 03 April 2005 - 07:55 PM

Hi everybody my name is Ben 'Maverick' Goodchild. I live in the UK and am currently THE most irate man on the planet due to windows....to be fair it is very likely I'm the one that broke it but still I don't like it!!

Anyway....i'm currently in a fight to the death with my ex-explorer (IE - dare we speak its name??) it found me sleeping with the perfect Mozilla Firefox and has decided to open itself every 60 seconds and just be there!! Argh!!

On top of this windows is evil anyway but I can't change the OS because I dont know how to make things dual boot and I am scared I'll break things!!

So....basically I'm a newbie with a little knowledge f XP (and what I know I hate) and i'm looking for a way to learn to master my demons and then crush them!! Beyond this I'd also like to learn to be more intelligent in the way I surf the net (using proxy's etc) and other things software driven.

To this end you will doubtless see many posts by me springing up here there and everywhere and I implore you to be nice when you do and explain ncie and slowly!! (not that i'm stupid just like to be certain)

Now i had best go and see what avast! has found out! Hope to talk to more of you soon!! Oh and please (if you are kind and will help me learn about things computerlike) either email me or simply reply to this lengthy (bt very British post).

Hurrah!

Mod Edit:: e-mail addy removed for members benefit.

Edited by scarlett, 03 April 2005 - 09:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2005 - 09:36 PM

Welcome to BC!
You will find a lot of information here, both in the forums as well as in the excellent tutorials. In addition, you will find the members very friendly and understanding when they answer questions or help one another.
As your first "lesson," in Web surfing, never EVER post an Email address in a public forum; these are harvested by spambots and then either sold to people of low character, or used by the program itself to send SPAM to the addresses it finds. One of the other mods has already removed your Email address for that very reason.
Never hesitate to post a question or ask for help with a particular problem in the appropriate forum here at BC.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 03 April 2005 - 09:36 PM

Hi Maverick,
Let me be among the first to welcome you to BC. I'm sure you will find many friendly, helpful and knowledgeable people here who can help you out in your good fight against tyrrany and evil :thumbsup:

Find the forum(s) closest suited to your problem(s) and post with as much description, info and witticisms as possible and help will be forthcoming.

Edited by Rimmer, 03 April 2005 - 09:37 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 04 April 2005 - 08:54 AM

:thumbsup: and welcome to Bleeping computer, maverick. I hope you find help for your problems.

:flowers:

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#5 maverick

maverick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2005 - 09:33 AM

In reference to my first email - I followed a tutorial from Major Geeks and then basically uninstalled and then obliterated everything from my pc!

However I still get a BSOD on shutdown.....puzzling.

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 04 April 2005 - 08:07 PM

Maverick - if you want help with a problem you must start a topic in the forum best suited to that problem, click the 'Discussions' tab at the top of the page and scroll through all the forums to see which is most appropriate.
This forum is purely for introductions. :thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 04 April 2005 - 08:08 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users