Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fixing A Registry Change

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 midnight55

midnight55

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 31 May 2008 - 11:57 AM

My computer has been locking up after it sits dormant for any length of time. A restart brings it back to reality. I had reloaded Windows XP months ago, & had failed to re-download Skybot S&D. I did that this morning & after a successful download, I ran it. It came up with some entries that were mostly tracking bots. But it also came up with a registry change in the Windows Security Center. My question is should I let Skybot S&D try to fix it (if it can), or as was suggested to me, was to download & run ComboFix. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Edited by midnight55, 31 May 2008 - 11:58 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2008 - 12:02 PM

Hi,
You shouldn't run Combofix its a very strong tool and it can even damage your computer if you don't use it correctly. I would only run it if tol by and expert. Also what is the registry that spybot S&D trying to change/fix?

With Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#3 midnight55

midnight55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2008 - 02:45 PM

The registry code that Skybot shows me is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\wscsvc\Start (is not) W=2.

#4 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 31 May 2008 - 03:01 PM

copied from spybot forum:

This detection:

Code:
Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter_disabled
Settings HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\wscsvc\Start!=W=2That detection (problem) indicates that Spybot-S&D found that the registry entry that controls the starting of Windows Security Center was not set to "Automatic".

To verify that this is not a false positive:
Click Start then Run.
Type "Services.msc" (no quotes) in the Open block.
Click OK.
When Services dialog opens, scroll down in the right pane and locate the "Security Center" entry in the list.
Double click on the entry.
In the Security Center Properties (Local Computer) dialog I believe that you will find the "Startup type" is set to either "Disabled" or "Manual" not "Automatic".
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#5 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2008 - 03:02 PM

Hi take a look here: http://forums.spybot.info/archive/index.php/t-6894.html
that may help you
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#6 midnight55

midnight55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2008 - 07:56 AM

Thanks for all of your help. You guys hit the nail on the head. This is the first forum I've been on that actually was able to help me with anything, & I really appreciate it.

Thanks again,
Kevin

#7 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2008 - 01:11 PM

Glad that we were able to help you midnight55 :thumbsup:

Extremeboy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users