Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Stop Some Unwanted Startups?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ruthieross

ruthieross

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 31 May 2008 - 10:46 AM

Running XP home & went through some of the start ups & I have some that need to be removed. I have updated Spybot S&D & ran it a few times to make sure it caught everything & just did a HJthis. TIA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2008 - 10:50 AM

By start-ups do you mean that the computer is stopping and re-starting?

Or do you mean controlling start-up programs?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx

Use this tool for that...

Edited by douglas martin, 31 May 2008 - 10:54 AM.

Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 ruthieross

ruthieross
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2008 - 10:58 AM

Thanks, Douglas.
I mean when I went to the task manager & looked up
some things on the startup list here, it said they are
unwanted programs. EX: ALG.exe, & some others.
Thank you for your quick response!

#4 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2008 - 11:18 AM

Not all processes listed in the Start-up list at the top of the page as malware are necessarily so...It depends upon where the executable file is located as to wheter or not it is a bad thing and should be removed...I did a search for "alg.exe" and the first response was this:

http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/alg.exe.html

You may need this for internet connections. The document says where it should be located...If you do a search and find it somewhere else then it is probably malware...

#5 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 31 May 2008 - 11:26 AM

Hello ruthieross.

The BC startup database is not a list of programs in your taskmanager. Rather, it's a list of programs that are run at startup, like you would see in a HijackThis log or your msconfig.

The program alg.exe is your windows firewall. You will not see it in a HJT log because it is a whitelisted system process. You see it listed a bad in the startup list because if it is listed in a HJT log, it would be a almost always be a piece of malware trying to disguise as a legit item.

Also, please be careful what you do with HJT.

With Regards,
The Panda

#6 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2008 - 11:41 AM

Hello ruthieross.

The BC startup database is not a list of programs in your taskmanager. Rather, it's a list of programs that are run at startup, like you would see in a HijackThis log or your msconfig.

The program alg.exe is your windows firewall. You will not see it in a HJT log because it is a whitelisted system process. You see it listed a bad in the startup list because if it is listed in a HJT log, it would be a almost always be a piece of malware trying to disguise as a legit item.

Also, please be careful what you do with HJT.

With Regards,
The Panda

If your computer is acting badly, then by all means, you should post a HJThis log in the HighJackThis forum...Not Here!
If on the other hand you have questions about some of these processes as to whether or not they are good to keep, feel free to continue posting them here...We'll do our best to answer them...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users