Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup/task Manager Conflict

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 62blue

62blue

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 31 May 2008 - 09:52 AM

I recently cleaned out several Startup items, including Lexmark printing functions and iPod services from Apple. They're unchecked in my Startup list, yet these items still show up in Task Manager immediately after booting up the computer. How can they be running automatically when they're not supposed to run on startup?

(The Lexmark software doesn't seem to have an option to keep from running at startup. Haven't looked at iPod yet.)

XP Pro, sp2

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 31 May 2008 - 10:10 AM

What are you using to control Start-uo programs? I recommend Auto-Runs:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx

Some of the better Anti-Virus and Anti-Spware programs will also allow you to control Start-up Programs.
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 62blue

62blue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2008 - 12:10 PM

I didn't use any third-party software, just unchecked the items in my startup list. When I reboot, those items are still unchecked, but show up in Task Manager as running processes.

I'll use Auto-Runs to stop them if I have to, but first I want to understand why that is.

#4 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 31 May 2008 - 12:18 PM

Hi 62blue.
Did you disable those startup list using msconfig?
Start>run>msconfig.
Some programs such as qttask.exe even after you disable it, it will still run if you use it. Also some others like ctfmon.exe even if you disable it, it will automatically run still. If you have a real-time protection program, they shouldn't be able to startup. If they try to start up your real-time prtection will probably say something like this: The startup is being changed, do you want to allow/block. If you block it, it won't startup. What are the programs that you disabled that still run on startup and please say there exact filename.

Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#5 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 31 May 2008 - 12:23 PM

If you are trying to control start-up items from msconfig (which by the way will work) you may have to un-check the selections then press Apply then OK to get the changes to stick...

msconfig is basically a diagnostic tool to allow you to shut down certain processes one at a time to troubleshoot..

Auto-Runs does a much more efficient job of control start-up programs...As I said before a lot of Premium Anti-Spyware programs will also let you set start-up programs...

Edited by douglas martin, 31 May 2008 - 12:25 PM.

Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#6 62blue

62blue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2008 - 11:17 PM

Hi extremeboy. Yes, I disabled the startup items in msconfig. After rebooting, those progs were still unchecked, but were listed as running in Task Manager.

The items I unchecked in my startup list were:

- iTunesHelper.exe
- LXSUPMON.EXE RUN (for Lexmark printer; that's exactly the way it's shown in the list)

Task Manager shows the following items running:

- iTunesHelper.exe
- iPodService.exe
- AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
- LEXBCES.EXE
- LEXPPS.EXE

The first item, iTunesHelper.exe, is the only exact match. The others run automatically at startup but aren't included in the startup list. I'd like to know how to stop them from starting too, but maybe that's another thread.

Douglas, I unchecked the items, clicked Apply, then OK, then rebooted. They're still unchecked, but are running according to Task Manager. I have Auto-Runs but haven't really used it yet. Wanted to figure this out first.

#7 62blue

62blue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2008 - 12:47 AM

I found that iTunesHelper is running in the Services tab in msconfig. Looks like it's time to tackle that monster.

#8 Adamsappleone

Adamsappleone

• Members
  • 152 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 03 June 2008 - 03:35 AM

Hi 62blue,

Did you try going into the preferences/options for each program itself and unchecking Start With Windows.
If these are checked in each program to start with windows, then no matter how many times you disable them in msconfig, they will run each time you reboot.
If they do not have that option (which they should) go in to Services and either disable them or change to manual instead of automatic.
Hope this helps

You can also use one of these to clean up leftover start up programs;

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...=149054&hl=

Edited by Adamsappleone, 03 June 2008 - 03:37 AM.

Multi-Boot, Vista Ultimate x64, Windows 7 x64 & Windows 8 Pro x64

Posted Image

#9 62blue

62blue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2008 - 12:39 AM

Hi Adamsapple,

Apologies for the long response time...

The Lexmark software doesn't seem to have an option for non-automatic startup. iTunes is my son's program, I've asked him to look for the option and change it, but so far he hasn't reported back. I remember that that didn't work with QuickTime. It used to install itself in the Startup List whenever it ran and I would always have to go in and uncheck it. I hope iTunes is different.

And thanks for the links. I'm not familiar with vbs, so I'll download the program and give it a try.

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2008 - 07:19 AM

Most of these items also start as Services when Windows starts up. To stop them from loading, go to Start...Run...and type in "services.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Scroll down the list to find the different services. Once you locate them, right click on them and select "Properties". In the window that opens there'll be a dropdown box named "Startup type" with several choices available.

Choose Disabled if you want the service to never start. Choose Manual if you want to be able to launch the services to start only when the program needs them (if the program still has autostart entries associated with it, it may launch them when it starts - even if it is set to Manual)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 62blue

62blue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:48 PM

Thanks. I was just about to get into that when this computer crashed on Saturday night. Had to reinstall Windows today. Now I have the pleasure of starting this all over again <sigh>. At least I know more about it now.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2008 - 06:52 AM

FWIW - you may want to invest in a disk imaging program to prevent the pain of reinstallation. There are freeware programs out there, but I'm not familiar with them. I use Acronis True Image ($50 US).

The image will make an exact copy of your hard drive as of the date that you run it. So, should your system crash, you'll be able to recover your system (back to the date of the image) in about 20 minutes. Then you'll only have to reinstall stuff that you installed/updated after the image was made.

Images are huge, so it's not a good idea to use an imaging utility as a backup tool (and restoring an image will wipe EVERYTHING off of the drive) - so a good backup strategy is also needed. The recent versions of Acronis True Image offer a backup utility - but I haven't used that either.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 62blue

62blue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:47 AM

I actually have an imaging utility on an external hard drive that I got as a Christmas present, but I've never looked into it. The crash this weekend was a wake-up call for that.

I'm still a bit torn between imaging the drive and just reinstalling Windows. I realize that imaging is quicker, but by reinstalling the OS, I didn't lose any data and that was very important in this case. There are four users of this computer and while we have good intentions of backing everything up, it just doesn't get done all the time (sometimes not very often :thumbsup: ). This was also a wake-up call for that.

Edited by 62blue, 24 June 2008 - 08:48 AM.

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2008 - 12:43 PM

Creating an image of a malfunctioning copy of the OS is an exercise in futility. If the problem exists in the software, you'll just be copying the problem (and restoring it when you restore the image).

I'd suggest a fresh install of Windows. Once you get your updates, drivers, and applications in place - then make an image of that. That way, should this happen again, you'll only have to update from the point you made the image.

#15 62blue

62blue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2008 - 04:01 PM

That's exactly what I'll do when I get this install cleaned up. Lesson learned. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users