Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Computer Slower Than Old

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dabud

dabud

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 31 May 2008 - 09:06 AM

hi

I have 2 computers

1] Asus P4S533-mx 2.4 gHZ 2.0gb ram onboard nic card

2]Asus P5KC 3.0gHZ core 2 duo 4.0gb ram PCI nic card

In the beginning the P5 showed a marked difference in internet and tasking.
Both are running Ubuntu [recent change from Win XP Sp2+]

Both are connected to the internet [DSL]

Of late I have noticed that the P5 seems to be slower to react on recieving packets and being a core 2 duo seems slower to react to loading programs and generally doing tasks. [This slowness was happening on WinXP, as well as on Ubuntu.] I have done all the virus/spyware/trojan checks.

e.g. When I recieve the WinMX channel listing on the P4 I get 1400 listings, [without fail] but when I get the channel listing on the P5 i only get 600 to 700 channel listings and no matter how often I refresh the listings I still only get roughly one half of the available channel listings. In fact, the P5 seems slow to respond to all tasks, in comparison to the P4.

I am at a loss to explain this and wondered if anyone can tell me why this is? or point me in a direction that will help me understand/improve this situation. In general i need some advice where to start looking to start solving this problem.

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 31 May 2008 - 02:23 PM

If the same software is not installed on each computer...it's hard to compare anything between the two systems in terms of performance.

A new system with just an O/S is pretty snappy...until installation of firewall, AV, malware-detection, MS Office, ad nauseam.

Louis

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 01 June 2008 - 01:03 PM

It seems like your having different results in Web browsing search results? If the NIC are not the exact same theres no real way to compare apples to oranges. Try matching the virus security and software options on both computers and see if that makes a difference.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users