Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Firewall

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Phil J.

Phil J.

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 31 May 2008 - 12:27 AM

Hi, all

I'm a new member, a complete non-techie, and this is my first post.

In the past I never had to worry about maintaining my PC, but a recent change of direction in my life now means I have to do it myself. Oh well, I'll survive.

As I now need to carry out a lot of news media research online, I decided to checkout my Windows firewall and the first thing I noticed was there are a number of 'hp exceptions' (hpfccopy.exe, hpqcopy.exe, etc.) and Window Media Player Network Sharing Service exceptions.

My problem is I don't know if I need these 'exceptions' or if I should de-select them. What would be the consequences of de-selecting these exceptions?

I apologise in advance if this has been discussed before.

I would appreciate any help or advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 3xist

3xist

• Banned
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 31 May 2008 - 12:58 AM

Hi, all

I'm a new member, a complete non-techie, and this is my first post.

In the past I never had to worry about maintaining my PC, but a recent change of direction in my life now means I have to do it myself. Oh well, I'll survive.

As I now need to carry out a lot of news media research online, I decided to checkout my Windows firewall and the first thing I noticed was there are a number of 'hp exceptions' (hpfccopy.exe, hpqcopy.exe, etc.) and Window Media Player Network Sharing Service exceptions.

My problem is I don't know if I need these 'exceptions' or if I should de-select them. What would be the consequences of de-selecting these exceptions?

I apologise in advance if this has been discussed before.

I would appreciate any help or advice.

First off all, Forget about Windows Firewall.

I highly recommend you use COMODO Firewall Pro 3.

Download it, then install, Reboot. This is a very Good Firewall. Read the help file :thumbsup: If you need help with it, I am a Global Moderator at the COMODO Forums, I can assist you there!

Thanks,
Josh

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2008 - 07:29 AM

I am not associated with Comodo, but certainly suggest avoiding the one in Windows and using a superior application (there are several free firewalls) that allows better management and clearer reporting. However, the question is one about hp exceptions and WMPnetsharing exceptions.
Assuming you have a HP computer, the HP exceptions seem to be connected to digital imaging or printing, as far as I can determine. I see no reason not to allow these. I would need to know more detailed information about the WMP before making any suggestion, but I suspect , in principle, that it could be taken off the list.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2010 - 12:20 PM

This thread gave the user a workaround and not a solution. I'm actually working through trying to find an answer as to what and why all of these exceptions are as well. Unfortunately not everyone has the luxury of installing a 3rd party firewall, and I think that the Windows firewall is underrated anyway. It should always be enabled.

So is there anyone that has an answer as to what these processes are?
I would never ask a person to do something that I wouldn't do myself.

#5 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 25 March 2010 - 03:59 PM

This thread is 2 years old.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users