Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

!quch! External Hdd Goes “clink”

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 30 May 2008 - 10:36 PM

Dear Community
My son has a WD External Hdd My book essential 400G. About a year and a half old. Yesterday when he went to use it it started making a clinking noise and the drive would not open. The computer did recognize it but would not assign a drive letter. Not wanting to lose almost 350 G of data he took it to a local computer shop. They tried to retrieve data with different techniques. They were not successful. They gave him a brochure of a recovery service. This looks to be an expensive last resort.
I do not know these things that well but my feeling are that for something to be “clinking” means something is moving or trying to move. I think the only parts actually moving are the discs themselves and the writing arm(??) My guess is that his drive has had a mechanical crash??.
Any thought or input would be appreciated. He is willing to try fixing or retrieving the data himself if possible. Also the recovery services seem to be priced for business clients. As he is a collage student any leads for a more reasonably priced data recover service would be appreciated.
Best Regards
Nawtheasta

Edited by Nawtheasta, 30 May 2008 - 10:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 30 May 2008 - 11:06 PM

That clicking noise is referred to as the click of death. There is one last thing you can try, place the hdd in a ziplock bag and place it in the freezer for about twenty minutes. Remove it and make sure there isn't any moisture on the pc board and install it and see if it will spin up. The freezing contracts the metal of the disk which may allow it to spin, this won't last long, so have a good idea what you want to move to an external storage source.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 mike=)).

mike=)).

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 11 September 2008 - 06:36 PM

Did it work?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users