Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Ultimate X64 2 Gig Ram...readyboost Would It Help?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 iSIKH

iSIKH

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 30 May 2008 - 05:47 PM

Hi I got Vista Ultimate x64 yesterday. I have a AMD Athlon 64x2 TK-53 processor...I have 2 gig ram and I wanted to know about readyboost I already read the sticky topic about it but still have a question so do not link me to it please...So my computer is usually using about 50% ram average and everything is good I guess I have a 1 gig sandisk flashdrive I do not really use and it is ready boost ready...So I plugged it in and selected the option use with ready boost and the max memory on the flash drive I could use for readyboost was 850 mb so I picked 850 mb and I want to know A will this speed up my computer or increase performance? And also Since I have 2 gig ram should I get a 2 gig flash drive would a bigger one help even more? And also would a 4 gig flash drive give me the best increase? Which one would give me the best increase and also you keep ur flashdrive in the whole time while using it right?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 30 May 2008 - 06:06 PM

Hi iSIKH,
If your PC is using a gig of ram and you have a gig free, ready boost won't make any diifference. It will only help when your ram is in high use and it wiil use ready boost as required. I have 2 gigs of ram on Vista and I have never maxed it out. If you did a lot of application work and needed more ram I personaly would buy more ram for your system unless your system has no slots left then I suppose ready boost would be an option.
MCP
MSDST

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 30 May 2008 - 06:35 PM

Keep in mind that items in memory take up more space in a 64-bit environment than a 32-bit one. I suggest you get more RAM, if you can. Given the amount of RAM you have now, I don't think Readyboost will be very effective.

Edited by DJBPace07, 30 May 2008 - 06:36 PM.

3939.png

#4 iSIKH

iSIKH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2008 - 07:03 PM

I have 2 gig ram without the 1 gig flash drive and I am using a laptop and cant add ram i have no clue how

everything runz fine i am just asking for extra performence and stuff

#5 78651214

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 30 May 2008 - 11:45 PM

I don't think it will make much of a difference with your configuration. You have used the ReadyBoost feature as you said. So the question is do you find any performance gain when using it?

#6 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 31 May 2008 - 07:26 AM

hi,,, i have messed around with readyboost a bit on several pc's, i used a 4gb cruzer readyboost flash drive on 1 pc with 2gb of ram (mine) there was no differance as i still had 65% ram unused on my system,,, then i put it in a mate's pc with 1 gb off ram and there was a big differance in responce, every thing was a lot quicker and he could then uterlise the core2 he has by running more apps at once,,, then we put it in his wife's laptop that also has 1gb off ram and it took off, it was a vast improvement on a laptop,,, the last pc we put it in was a dual core desktop with 512mb off ram with vista a upgrade and this was the most noticeable improvement off them all.
so as a quick fix,, readyboost is ok especialy on pc's with less than 2gb off ram,,, as 2gb is now considerd the sweet spot for ram on vista,,, but there is no substitute for more RAM installed on your pc,,, more ram wins everytime,,,,,, good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2008 - 07:28 AM

If you're only using 50% of your RAM, adding RAM won't add much in the way of performance.
BUT, if there are times when it spikes higher, you may see an improvement by adding more RAM

ReadyBoost provides an advantage when Windows is seeking information from the hard drive
If you use ReadyBoost, it saves some of that information to the ReadyBoost drive (which is faster than the hard drive)
BUT, if you have enough RAM, it saves it to the RAM - so ReadyBoost isn't needed there.

Typically ReadyBoost will provide an advantage if you only have 512 mB of RAM. It's advantage in this case is roughly equivalent to adding another 512 mB of RAM. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReadyBoost

Adding RAM is easy on most laptops. You can visit http://www.crucial.com and see what you can put into your system - and they've got an installation guide here: http://www.crucial.com/install/sodimm.aspx 4gB of DDR2 RAM (2 - 2 gB chips) is about $80 online.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 iSIKH

iSIKH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2008 - 11:07 AM

Thanks for all the help and also according tot eh crucial scan the most ram my system can handle is 2048 mb or 2 gigs

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2008 - 03:04 PM

What's the make and model of your system? It's unusual for a new laptop with an x64 operating system to be restricted to 2 gB - but it is possible.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 iSIKH

iSIKH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2008 - 10:55 PM

I have a dell vostro 1000 vista ult 64 bit I used to have xp home 32 bit but I did a clean install and got 64 bit vista now I am thinking about formatting again and getting 32 bit vista for wouldnt it be better performence wise and al i only have 2 gig ram amd processor 64x2 TK-53 would 32 bit be faster and if I decide to format and install 32 bit would it be faster? also x86 is 32 bit right

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2008 - 05:52 AM

You're correct about the memory limitation of that system - so a 32 bit OS would be the way to go in this case. 64 bit OS's just won't benefit from your system specs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users