Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Another Unmountable Boot Volume Thread

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 whit417

whit417

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 30 May 2008 - 05:28 PM

Hello,

I have a Dell Dimension E310 with Windows XP. Windows will not boot and gives the unmountable boot volume error message. Will not start in safe mode. Booted from the reinstallation CD, went into the recovery console. chkdsk/r doesn't work, however chkdsk does. Started "chkdsk is checking the volume" and "chkdsk is performing additional checking or recovery." First try froze at 27%, waited awhile, restarted, tried again. Second try, again stopped at 27%, this time gave a message of "the volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problem." Restarted again, third try, completed and gave the following info:

chkdsk found one or more errors on the volume.
73208204 kilobytes total disk space
36736160 kilobytes are available
4096 bytes in each allocation unit
18302051 total allocation units on disk
9184040 allocation units available on disk
c:\>

What do I do next? How can I find out what the errors are and if they are repairable?
Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Axegrinder

Axegrinder

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 30 May 2008 - 05:55 PM

Definately sounds like the hdd is dying. If you have a spare pc, try slaving the drive into it and try and recover files of it.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2008 - 05:56 PM

A better test would be to look at the drive to see who the manufacturer is then go to their support site and download their hard drive diagnostic tool and run that
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 whit417

whit417
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2008 - 06:07 PM

It is a Samsung HD080HJ/P. Can I download the diagnostic tool to another PC?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 30 May 2008 - 06:18 PM

Yes, I believe that you need the hutil.exe utility, which goes on a floppy.

http://ars.samsung.com/customer/usa/jsp/fa...0&PROD_ID=0

I have several Samsung drives and that's the one I use.

Louis

#6 whit417

whit417
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2008 - 06:34 PM

Yeah, I've found the instructions for the diagnostic tool. They are as follows:

Execution
Hutil is a DOS based utility so it is needed to prepare a bootable 1.44-MB diskette in advance.
Download Hutil_creator.exe on the diskette prepared from the internet. (Hutil_creator.exe is an auto extract execution file.)
When you execute the Hutil_creator.exe, Hutil folder will be created and extract Hutil.exe and Hutilxxx.cfg files.
Reboot the system by above diskette.
Execute the program by typing A:\Hutil.exe in DOS mode.
Please Back-up your data before executing this program. Hutil.exe and Hutilxxx.cfg have to be always together on same folder.

The only problem is that the computer I'm having the problem with does not have a diskette drive. Can I download it to a cd and boot it from there?

Edited by whit417, 30 May 2008 - 09:17 PM.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2008 - 08:13 AM

On this page ( http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd...port_HUTIL.html ) is a link for the both the floppy version and a CD ISO file.

Download the ISO file and extract the contents to your desktop (of the working computer)
Download this free ISO tool: http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/v2.htm (I'd suggest the 32 bit version unless you know that it's 64 bit)
Use the tool to record the ISO to a CD - then carry it over to the non-working computer and put it in the CD tray.

Reboot the Dell, and press F12 as the Dell screen shows. That'll give you a boot menu where you can select to boot from the CD/DVD drive. Follow the prompts using the first link that I posted to complete the test.

PS - Some Dell's have built in diagnostics for the hard drive. If there's a option for this when you press F12 you can use that also.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 whit417

whit417
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2008 - 10:30 AM

I ran the Dell HD diagnostics and it came back as "Failed. Return code: 7" If I download the Samsung diagnostics will it tell me anymore than that. Doing some checking around it seems that error code 7 means that the drive is toast.

#9 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2008 - 10:46 AM

Usually if the diagnostic comes back with Fail messages it is probably surely TOAST...You can try and mount it into another computer as a slave and recover data files from it...There has also been some reported success with removing it from the offending machine, putting it in a zip-lock freezer bag, and putting it in the freezer for a few hours...If I understand the process correctly freezing it causes the metal components to expand a little and allow the drive to function for a short period of time...That may allow you to retrieve something anyway...

You can probably try another diagnostic from the HDD manufacturer, it may or may not tell you more...

Edited by douglas martin, 31 May 2008 - 10:47 AM.

Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,867 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2008 - 01:48 PM

The long test available by running hutil.exe will provide much more detail and will take longer. It's a very thorough check and will either confirm/refute the Dell check.

But since this is a Dell system...and they may be responsible for any RMA procedures...I think I'd check with Dell re RMA procedures if the system is still covered by warranty obligations.

If they will replace the hard drive, let them :thumbsup:.

If warranty does not apply to your system, then run the long test using the Samsung utility.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users