Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

This Is So Annoying!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Compu-tar

Compu-tar

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 30 May 2008 - 04:34 PM

I have a problem. Every time I leave my computer unnatened for 15 minutes or so, it tries to connect to the internet. I'm usually connected through a network card, but am ordering a new one, so am without internet for a few days. Im always having to tell it to work offline, and then to stop trying. Its not really a huge problem, just very annoying. Any help would be appreciated!

Ben
"They say one of a baby's first non-verbal forms communication is pointing. Clicking must be somewhere just after that."

Ben

-Certified Computer Technician-

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 30 May 2008 - 06:11 PM

I guess that I don't understand...why you are getting a typical dialup modem message...if you connect via a NIC and have a broadband connection.

A broadband connection is always connected to the Internet.

What browser are you using?

Any software such as AOL or MSN installed on this system?

Louis

#3 Compu-tar

Compu-tar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 31 May 2008 - 11:42 AM

I use opera and currently have installed aim on my computer. The message i get isn't for a dial-up connection, it the message that you get when your not connected to the internet, but try to open a browser. Does anyone know of a tool that shows me whats trying to access the internet on my computer at a certain time?
"They say one of a baby's first non-verbal forms communication is pointing. Clicking must be somewhere just after that."

Ben

-Certified Computer Technician-

#4 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 31 May 2008 - 11:55 AM

I guess that I don't understand...why you are getting a typical dialup modem message...if you connect via a NIC and have a broadband connection.

A broadband connection is always connected to the Internet.
What browser are you using?

Any software such as AOL or MSN installed on this system?

Louis

to note; I am on Broadband and mien is NOT always connected to the internet; I too have to 'dial up' the connection

one MIGHT ask , if the comp seeks TO connect, if a program seeks updating OR if you have something on there trying TO find home to infect you?

#5 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2008 - 12:07 PM

I'm guessing that a firewall would be the"tool" that you are asking about...I'm not sure why you are having this problem with the computer "requesting to connect to the internet" unless it has something to do with your instant messager...As Louis suggested earlier this is usually a "dial-up" condition. For example: If you try to open your browser (without first using dial-up procedure to log-in) you get that type of message. I guess that you may get a message like that with broadband connections under certain circumstances...But those connections are usually ALWAYS connected....

Maybe try to disable aim...until you get your new card...See what happens...
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2008 - 01:58 PM

Hmmm...I have had exposure to DSL and cable systems...unless they have problems, those are always on connections.

OK, I am now in learning mode :thumbsup:.

Ruby, what type of broadband connection do you have...and who is the provider?

To the OP: Since you are not referring to the dialup message...the message indicates that your connection is dropping out when it is not supposed to. Could be problems with the NIC or with the source.

Have you tried to repair the connection?

Reset the modem/router?

...and since you mention that you are ordering a new NIC, does that mean that you believe that your NIC was the source of your problems?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users