Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Are Nvidia 6800 cards compatible with my mobo?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 treeh0rn

treeh0rn

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 03 April 2005 - 03:19 PM

Okay everyone, I'm hoping you can help me out here please.
Right, I've never gone inside my PC before except to add a RAM card once before - please bear this, and my lack of knowledge, in mind when offering your advice.

I wish to upgrade my crappy nVidia GeForce 4 MX420 to a better card - probably a 6600 series, although my question applies to any new graphics card (I was horrified to discover that Brothers in Arms specifically does not support my card).

Anyway, does it matter what motherboard I have? Will a new card work with an older mobo? I have included some information about my system in case it is relevant. It is taken directly from the shopping basket description I printed out when I bought the PC 2.5 years ago:

"Intel 845PE chipset with support for 266MHz DDR RAM and 333MHz DDR RAM.
Support for Intel Pentium 4 processors with 533 MHz system bus.
4 PCI slots and AGP 4x slot "

This has been edited to provide you with what I think is relevant information.
Please have a look and tell me if I also need to upgrade my motherboard too. I hope to get an AGP card as I don't have a PCI-Express slot. My friend recently upgraded card and had to buy a new mobo - I hope I don't have to.
Many thanks comrades.

Edited by treeh0rn, 03 April 2005 - 03:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,389 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2005 - 05:37 PM

Yes it will work. What kind of processor do you have?

#3 treeh0rn

treeh0rn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2005 - 09:50 AM

Firstly, my apologies for this disgustingly late reply... I did some research and discovered that I need a new PSU which can handle the increased power a 6600 card needs. I currently have a 250W one and need at least a 350W one. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I discovered - much to my extreme annoyance - that Dell mess about with the PSU connections from the mobo, making it very hard to change them. (This guy from Dell told me my PC was obsolete so they couldn't even sell me one. I got put through to some cowboy who tried to hard-sell me a refurbished one, not even a new one!).
Anyway, this is supposed to be a short story. I have decided not to bother now. Thanks for reading. The End.

#4 efizzer

efizzer

• Members
  • 360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 08 July 2005 - 09:57 AM

Wait, wait, wait. How old is your PC? Can you give me the name and model? I've found that sometimes these people lie about these things to keep you in their camp. I'm buying a 6800GT, coming from a MX420 myself. Don't give up until you get ALL the info.
Posted Image

We're going to make the merry-go-round go faster, so everyone needs to hang on tighter-just to keep from being thrown to the wolves.

#5 Eleutheria

Eleutheria

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2005 - 06:14 PM

I recently went through the same problem. Order a new PSU through this site using their chart to find which one will work for you. I got the 425 for $130 on sale here and it works like a charm.

http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/power_supplies/dell/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users