Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Opening Word/excel Files

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 aboxhill

aboxhill

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 30 May 2008 - 10:01 AM

I recently did a new install of Windows XP, having been using Windows 2000. I backuped and formatted the disk and the install went with out problem. I also installed SP3.

The main problems I'm experiencing are with Word files taking a very long time to load and being unable to access the internet/network for about 40 seconds when booting up.

I wonder if I'm infected or perhaps there is a network issue?

Here's a detailed description:

On startup items load as normal, then there is a long delay of about 30-40 seconds when nothing happens as if it's finished start up, however I can't access the internet or the network. Then the remaining startup programs suddently load (such as the Wacom graphics tablet driver) and I can now access the internet and network.

When I click a Word or Excel files from a shared drive it 14 seconds to load Word/Excel then another 3 seconds to load the file itself! However when I load Word locally it loads instantly and load a new document instantly. (Office 2003).

After the computer had been on for about 5/6 hours Word/Excel loads files from the network instantly. Really weird and annoying!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks, John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 30 May 2008 - 10:22 AM

Here are a couple of things to try (if you have not already done so):
1. Run scandisk/checkdisk
2. Run defrag
3. Check to see what applications launch on start up. If you re-installed a ton of applications (Office, for example) these may be launching their quick starts on boot; also review your Anti-Virus's settings.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 aboxhill

aboxhill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 30 May 2008 - 10:48 AM

Hi John

Thanks for the quick reply, I've tried all of those and I was reading that XP is heavily dependent on DNS and that the delay could be it waiting to timeout.

Any further thoughts?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users