Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox Browser/MS AntiSpyware Update

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nogo

nogo

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 03 April 2005 - 01:51 PM

Hello, I have set my computer (win xp sp1) to use firefox 1.0.2 as my default browser, but now my MS antispyware program can't access the internet. I assume that is because MS IE is no longer my default browser. I've looked and searched and looked somemore, now I need help. Can anyone walk me through a solution to my delema? I thank you in advance.....Carl I can't figure out how to make IE ask if it should be my default browser again. :thumbsup:
"Self Taught, Crippled Old Man, Please Be Patient With My Ignorance"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 03 April 2005 - 07:21 PM

If you want to set IE as your default browser:

open IE
click Tools
click Options
click the Programs tab
click the Reset Web Settings... button
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 nogo

nogo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2005 - 03:31 PM

Thanks, TQ1911. It's the never ending learning process.........carl :thumbsup:

#4 Supermart57

Supermart57

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 24 April 2005 - 09:54 AM

I run Microsoft Antispyware on XP SP2 with Firefox set as my default browser and have no trouble with it automatically updating (in fact more often than I would like) so not having IE as your default browser is not the problem. It is more likely to be the firewall preventing the Antispyware connecting to the Internet so perhaps you should look at your firewall settings.

You should also update your XP installation to SP2.
I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 24 April 2005 - 03:11 PM

First, you need to install the latest version of FF, as it contains patches to several security problems.
Second, there is an extension for FF (ieview) that will allow you to open pages in IE right from Mozilla's FF without bothering about changing defaults.
Third, what kind of error message do you get when you cannot "access" the site?
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 nogo

nogo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2005 - 12:55 AM

Hey jgweed, My first post on this subject was on the 3rd of April, so some things have changed since then. My first post said I only had sp1 on my system, musta bin tired, I really had sp2 at that time. And yes my FF is up to date, I don't know why I posted so many mistakes on the 3rd. The problem has nothing to do with which browser I had as my default. So I just reinstalled CounterSpy to a clean format a few days ago, today I noticed that my MSAS wasn't updating again. I'm thinking the two programs can't play well together. Anyway, after trying a few things to try and get MSAS to manually update, I uninstalled MSAS, reboot and reinstalled MSAS, not more problem. Oh yeah, your question about the error message, the best I can remember it just said that it couldn't find an internet connection. I've got a post over at CastleCops on this issue along with a few other people. It's a problem that a lot of people are having. CastleCops.com in the MSAS forum. :thumbsup: Hope I haven't made any info mistakes on this post. Thanks for your reply and have a good night...............................

Edited by nogo, 25 April 2005 - 12:56 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users