Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Starting In Safe Mode - With Web Enabled?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 PCPeebrain

PCPeebrain

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 30 May 2008 - 08:37 AM

trying to repair a computer across the net, following the "computer gone slow" guide as well as with advice from others on another (non-computing!) forum - however really I need to start running all the various anti-spy/mal/virus apps in safe mode. (xp home)

How do I do this, is it worth attempting if I can, or am I just going to have to bite the bullet and get in the car? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 30 May 2008 - 09:27 AM

When the computer first starts begin pressing F8 and continue till the black page with white lettering a and Safe Mode shows. There will be three choices.

Safe Mode

Safe Mode With Networking

Safe Mode with Command Prompt

If you wish to use the Internet you will want the Networking option.

Good luck.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 PCPeebrain

PCPeebrain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2008 - 09:42 AM

Sorry, don't think I was clear - I'm nowhere near the computer, I'm accessing it via logmein, so I can't hit F8!

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2008 - 09:59 AM

I don't know of a way to access Safe Mode remotely, you are going to have to have someone do it locally. I'm not psychic, but... :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 PCPeebrain

PCPeebrain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2008 - 10:20 AM

damn - thought that might be the case. Unfortunately the person "local" is my Dad, and the chances of talking through hitting F8 repeatedly on start up and then choosing an option from a list.... well lets just say there is a good reason that it needs repairing :thumbsup:

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2008 - 10:48 AM

If you are going to walk your father through this on the phone make take practice run through it and take notes of every step in the process, like...

When you start the computer start quickly pressing the F8 key and continue till the black screen opens with white lettering with Safe Mode at the top of the options. You have the list of three Safe Mode options that I sent you previously, you might wish to include this so that he knows what to expect.

You will need to use the up arrow to move up to the pointer up to the Safe Mode option, when you have the pointer on the Safe Mode at the top press enter.

A message will open explaining that Safe Mode is a for diagnostic purposes, or verbiage to that effect, have him click on OK.

It will then load Windows in Safe Mode.

Good luck.

#7 PCPeebrain

PCPeebrain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2008 - 10:57 AM

A good plan, We'll give it a go!! (fingers crossed....)

Cheers for your help, appreciate it!

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2008 - 11:04 AM

It' my pleasure to be able to help.

Luck, Dan :thumbsup:

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 31 May 2008 - 07:50 AM

Alternately, you can coach him through msconfig to do this:

Go to Start...Run...and type in "msconfig" (without the quotes) and press Enter
A new windows will open.
Click on the Boot.ini tab
Next, click on the /SAFEBOOT checkbox
Next, click on the NETWORK radio button
Next, click on OK at the bottom of the dialog box
That window will close and another will open
Next, click on Restart and let the computer restart

Also, here's a free program that may be even easier to use: http://www.superadblocker.com/bootsafe.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users