Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xpsp2 Home Edition...how To Hide Updates Until Later Install?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 georgia

georgia

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 30 May 2008 - 05:51 AM

My OS is xpsp2.
I have my updates to notify only and not auto install, however I am concerned that I might install ones that I don't want and I know that they can be hidden so that I don't accidentaly d/l them. For example, I want to wait a little while until I d/l Sp3 and thus wish to hide it until I feel comfortable that the update is OK.

Does anyone know how the process of doing "hide" as I have googled and found that it is possible but there is no information and I went into the M$ site and can't find the Instructions there either.

I really would appreciate your comments, thankyou.

Edited by georgia, 30 May 2008 - 05:53 AM.

Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2008 - 07:08 AM

This may be what you are asking...Control Panel>Security Center>in the Manage Security Settings section click on Automatic Updates...In the new window click on the box that says "Download updates but let me choose when to install them"...That will put a yellow sheild in the system tray when downloads are available and ready to install.
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2008 - 08:44 AM

The hide option is available at the WinUpdate website.

I do manual updates on one system, while doing automatic updates on my other.

After you hide updates, WinUpdate will give you nags about it, but the updates will remain hidden and won't be downloaded or shown.

Of course, I have not tried to do both...hide and auto update for the same system, that may be a problem.

Louis

#4 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:15 PM

Hamluis, this sounds what I am looking for; however I must be blind as don't see the option???
I am not autoupdating on the same unit.
I read the notification and go to the site and let it do its scan and decide what I want to d/l.

If you could tell me where it is on this site it would be greatly appreciated.

The reason I don't want to do it via the CP is b/c I use autoupdater for my other applications and don't want them affected.
Just the M$ updates.
Thank you.
BTW...you can tell that I am not tech oriented and don't find things easily, my apologies for this.
Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users