Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Error

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 iTz TaLeNt

iTz TaLeNt

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 30 May 2008 - 02:34 AM

I keep getting the message Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

Heres my info and my problem in detail

I have Windows XP Home Edition
My Computer is an hp pavilion zv6130us
-AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200+ 2.0 GHz and 512KB L2 Cache
-80Gb (4200RPM) Hard Drive
-512MB Memory
-Microsoft Windows XP Home Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies

Leading up to this, my cmd prompt and regedit would open then close automatically about a half/second after opening so i was trying to fix this and i forget why but i went to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223188 and followed the instructions. I downloaded a backup from http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_emerutils.htm and from http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...src=sec_doc_nam before i messed with the Registry. Then I got stuck at the Windows XP screen, so then i tried to start my PC in safemode, Last Known Configuration, and Start Windows Normally. None worked so i put in my Windows XP disk and tried repairing by typing-

md tmp
copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
delete c:\windows\system32\config\default

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

All of them worked except copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system wasnt able to be copied at the end. It said the system cannot find the file specified.

And now im getting a black screen with a message saying Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

Also if it helps I ran chkdsk /p and it said chkdsk found one or more errors on the volume

Ive tried everything trying to fix this and still nothing

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 30 May 2008 - 03:40 AM

Hi iTz TaLeNt, welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

Quick question: before all this happened, was System Restore enabled? If it was then you may be able to restore the registry from an existing restore point.

#3 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 30 May 2008 - 03:40 AM

It sounds to me like the file is on a bad sector of the drive and will not allow it to access the file needed to start.

The only way I can think that you may be able to move the file sector allocated with this file would be to use a boot disk and remove the folder as you did before. Then do a defrag and chkdsk /f. This should inspect the disk and fix all errored sectors of the drive. If the sector is not repairable it will mark it as a dead sector. If you then do the same repair with the repair disk. This may recreate the files but using good sectors and readable.

This is not guaranteed to work but this is my hunch. If this still does not work use the boot CD to copy off all your files onto a USB or seperate partition of the Hard disk and either recover the system from a Backup or Re-install XP.

Boot CD's that would work for this task are.
UBCD V4 (has installed apps that will help including HD tune to check the hard disk for sector errors)
Knopix V5 (Will need to know a little about Linux)
I am sure there are others out there but these are the ones that I find helpful on most occasions.

I hope this helps.
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

#4 iTz TaLeNt

iTz TaLeNt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2008 - 01:43 PM

Hi iTz TaLeNt, welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

Quick question: before all this happened, was System Restore enabled? If it was then you may be able to restore the registry from an existing restore point.

I forget because i was deleting a virus and had to disable it but i could have turned it back on before my PC Got the Error Message.

#5 iTz TaLeNt

iTz TaLeNt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2008 - 01:51 PM

It sounds to me like the file is on a bad sector of the drive and will not allow it to access the file needed to start.

The only way I can think that you may be able to move the file sector allocated with this file would be to use a boot disk and remove the folder as you did before. Then do a defrag and chkdsk /f. This should inspect the disk and fix all errored sectors of the drive. If the sector is not repairable it will mark it as a dead sector. If you then do the same repair with the repair disk. This may recreate the files but using good sectors and readable.

This is not guaranteed to work but this is my hunch. If this still does not work use the boot CD to copy off all your files onto a USB or seperate partition of the Hard disk and either recover the system from a Backup or Re-install XP.

UBCD V4 (has installed apps that will help including HD tune to check the hard disk for sector errors)
I am sure there are others out there but these are the ones that I find helpful on most occasions.

I hope this helps.

What folder do you mean. Are you talking about the md tmp folder. And how would i use the boot CD to copy off all of my files, im not that good with computers.

#6 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 30 May 2008 - 05:04 PM

You may be able to use chdsk/ r to repair bad sectors...Just re-boot with your XP CD like you did before...Type R when prompted...once you get to the command prompt type chdsk/ r and let it do it's thing.

Another thing would be to try sfc/ scannow also with the XP CD...A guide for using it is here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...rt=#entry821349
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2008 - 08:05 AM

The reason for the \system error is that you deleted the old copy of it (after backing it up) and the new copy wasn't able to be found.

The \system error occurs when NTLDR isn't able to locate the \system hive of the registry. I would double check the C:\Windows\Repair directory to see if there is a copy of the system hive there (it may have been a typing error). If there is, try recopying it again using the "copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system" command.

If there isn't a copy there, then I'd have to suggest a repair install to fix your registry. This may cause further issues if IE7 is installed, but it'll at least let you boot into Windows

CAVEAT: This is all separate from the chkdsk errors - if they are recurring, then there may be a problem with your hard drive. So a diagnostic test of that may be indicated.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 iTz TaLeNt

iTz TaLeNt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2008 - 07:07 PM

I hope this helps.

i used Knoppix to save everything but my music, thats the only thing i need. I got songs in limewire and itunes but i cant even find anything that says limewire, and i found a itunes folder but its not my music just files. I also found a file shared but it doesnt have all my music in it, Any ideas?

#9 iTz TaLeNt

iTz TaLeNt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2008 - 07:40 PM

The reason for the \system error is that you deleted the old copy of it (after backing it up) and the new copy wasn't able to be found.

The \system error occurs when NTLDR isn't able to locate the \system hive of the registry. I would double check the C:\Windows\Repair directory to see if there is a copy of the system hive there (it may have been a typing error). If there is, try recopying it again using the "copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system" command.

If there isn't a copy there, then I'd have to suggest a repair install to fix your registry. This may cause further issues if IE7 is installed, but it'll at least let you boot into Windows

CAVEAT: This is all separate from the chkdsk errors - if they are recurring, then there may be a problem with your hard drive. So a diagnostic test of that may be indicated.

in Knoppix i checked the repair folder and i have autoexec.nt, config.nt, default, DS_SAM, DS_SECURITY, DS_SOFTWARE, ntuser.dat, sam, secsetup.inf, security, setup.log, software, and system.bak

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2008 - 06:11 AM

This repair doesn't always work (I'd guess that it works 50% of the time or less when we use it a work), but it won't hurt to try it.

Rename the System file in C:\Windows\System32\config to system.ba2
Copy the System.bak file in C:\Windows\Repair to C:\Windows\System32\config
Rename the copied file (in C:\Windows\System32\config to System

This will preserve the copy in the Repair directory and the config directories, so the sequence is pretty crucial.
Then try to boot into Windows.

Good Luck!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 02 June 2008 - 04:28 AM

I would say use knopix search for music files.
*.aa4
*.mp3
*.mp4
*.wma

It would be hard for me to say where these files would be saved as this will depend on where was selected on installing the program. I think Itunes creates a folder called itunes in the My Music directory in you my documents folder.
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users