Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb Ports Not Showing In Windows Explorer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jimsjm

jimsjm

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:44 AM

After doing a reinstall of my C drive from a backup, my USB ports are not showing up in Windows Explorer

Windows xp pro sp2

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2008 - 01:11 AM

Have you looked in the Device Manager to see if there are any problems with the drivers?

Start> right click on My Computer> Manage> Device Manager.

The Universal Serial Bus controllers should be at the bottom of the list.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Chuck_Knull

Chuck_Knull

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2008 - 01:29 AM

Hi. Are you sure you had USB ports showing in Windows Explorer? The only place I remember seeing any information about USB is in Device Manager.
It's not paranoia if they really are out to get you.

ASUS P5K SE, Core2duo E8500, 4 Gb 800Mhz DDR2, Seagate 1 Tb SATA, Hitachi 1 Tb SATA, LG BDDVDRW 6x Blu-Ray ATI All-in-Wonder HD, 24 inch SOYO wide format LCD Monitor, X-Fi Platinum, Logitech Z-5500 Speaker System

#4 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 30 May 2008 - 04:08 AM

I gather when you say USB device and explorer you are refering to a USB flash disk.
USB devices will not show up in explorer until they are plugged in. This will allocate a drive letter to the device that is connected. I would say the first thing to do will be to plug the USB device in and goto Start>Run>compmgmt.msc
Expand Storage section. Click on Disk Management. Check to see if the USB device is showing as a Disk. It could be that the USB device is not allocated a drive letter. This can be due to a mapped drive being used as a letter that was previously used for a USB drive. This will then stop the USB from grabbing the correct drive letter. If this is the case right click on the Un Assigned drive and click Assign Drive Letter. It will give you the option for availaible drive letters.
When this is done the drive should become functional.

I hope this helps.
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

#5 jimsjm

jimsjm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:37 PM

Thank you all for your suggestions. The card shows up in Computer Disk Management. All of the USB's are showing in Device Manager. It is just not showing in Windows Explorer, so that I can use it.
Windows Explorer used to show and assign drive letters to all of the USB ports, now it doesn't , even when something is plugged into the port, like a flash card.
If I assign a letter to the drive in Computer Management then it thinks it is permanent and will continually flash low disk space for the flash card.

#6 jimsjm

jimsjm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2008 - 02:27 PM

I found a fix that works for those with the same problem:

http://www.computingsuccesssecrets.com/com...ndows-explorer/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users