Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sdfix Won't Install

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Stressed Out888

Stressed Out888

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:13 AM

and unexpected end of archive.

Any ideas how to install SDFIX?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:38 AM

Do you have a healthy computer to use?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 Stressed Out888

Stressed Out888
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2008 - 05:58 AM

Yes,. My laptop and a separate partition (OS) on the same drive as my desktop. get the same results. With the laptop I can still do the scan because the install does create teh directory and all the files. My laptop came back clean as did my other partition on the desktop. Havent been able to run SDFIX on the main partition because my USB keyboard is not identified for some reason once I go into safemode and XP boots.The keyboard works just fine in the secondary boot (I have a dual boot of XP) that I will slowly be installing other softare. I tried installing the Logitech keyboard software but the install/setup failed on the main partition. Maybe I have some corrupted system files or whatever as I did have some malware/spyware found? Or maybe AVG is protecting the regedit?

Now I have two biggert issues: I can't get my USB keyboard to run in safemode (but I can select safemode because the bios identifies it) and running the keyboard software results in the setup failing at the end. Both Kaspersky, Superscan, Spyhunter being clean but I had problems and they deleted the files. I looked over my hijack log and I did remove an entry the other day. maybe I should post it in the malware thread? BTW, I am running SP3 on the main partition. Just SP2 on the other one where the keyboard works.

Edited by Stressed Out888, 30 May 2008 - 06:01 AM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,485 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2008 - 06:51 AM

Did you follow the instructions for using SDFix in BC's self-help tutorial "How to use SDFix"?

Temporarily disable your anti-virus, script blocking and any anti-malware real-time protection before performing a scan as they can interfere with SDFix.

Ensure you are running SDFix from an "Administrator Account" or an "account with administrator privileges".
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2008 - 07:30 AM

sp3 has some real issues with usb devices in certain configurations

please use a ps2 keyboard until this is ironed out/rectified and the computer is clean
Chewy

#6 Stressed Out888

Stressed Out888
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2008 - 01:07 PM

Did you follow the instructions for using SDFix in BC's self-help tutorial "How to use SDFix"?

Yes.

Temporarily disable your anti-virus, script blocking and any anti-malware real-time protection before performing a scan as they can interfere with SDFix.

Tried that. Didn't work. I think there is some other file(s) in the background that I haven't been able to see that is responsible for SDFix not installing properly. SDFix installed without problem on XP partition without any AV or spyware s/w except for spyhunter. I don't have any real time protection except for AVG.

Ensure you are running SDFix from an "Administrator Account" or an "account with administrator privileges".

I can't get SDFix to install properly but I can get it to run on the SP2 parition. The error message also says that SDFix can't unlock registryedit

sp3 has some real issues with usb devices in certain configurations

please use a ps2 keyboard until this is ironed out/rectified and the computer is clean

I was wondering about that. I no longer have a PS2 keyboard :thumbsup:

Edited by Stressed Out888, 30 May 2008 - 01:10 PM.

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2008 - 01:22 PM

I really like a clean install of SP3, you might even get the usb keyboard working right

these xp's are on seperate partitions?
Chewy

#8 Stressed Out888

Stressed Out888
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2008 - 01:49 PM

Clean install SP3? You mean reformat and use slipstream CD w/SP3?
yes, these XP's are on separate partitions. the main one is a bit flaky so that's why I created another one on a brand new drive. I have so many apps and what not that I don't have time to do a full install. that's why i slowly use the other xp w/sp2 and install as necessary. i can't even get the Logitech keyboard drivers to load properly on the main XP partition. :thumbsup: However, I did have vundo or whatever it's called on it and several other files infected that were subsequently cleaned. could be damaged files left over?

btw, i went back to SDFix and tried to install it again, same result. I then went to the SDFix folder and ran the .bat file. I got the CMD screen it asked me if I wanted to dowload any of the apps. I hit yes and downloaded the "newest" version of SDFix (I just downloaded it yesterday) and it updated it withOUT any issue!

Still, can't get the USB keyboard to work in SP3 in Safe Mode. It works fine in SP2, Safe Mode.

EDIT: Everything is working now! I went and looked at my hijack log and there was a dll file (missing) that was malware. I removed it. I also disabled system hibernation and uninstalled the Logitech keyboard drivers as well. I used SmartyUninstaller again, which I used yesterday. I checked a file that I didnt that was malware but AVG detected and I quarantined it. I restored and used other online malware scans, it should negative too. AVG also didnt complain when I was uploading it. I didnt do anything differently. Any how, I am now able to go into Admin mode with SP3 and type!!

However, SDFix just rebooted my PC and it went into normal windows mode with the black cmd screen on top, checking for malware. Is this normal?

Edited by Stressed Out888, 30 May 2008 - 02:18 PM.

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2008 - 02:36 PM

sdfix runs one scan from safe mode then reboots into normal mode to finish the cleanup

:thumbsup:

way to go but like I said a clean install is in the cards(tarot) sooner or later

I patched a friends xp install for over 2 years thru aol hell, countless adware and crap ware, I used a repair disk of a slipstream sp3 cd and thought I had dodged the bullet one more time for him, note: he's never had a bad infection!

He got the computer home, I had turned off aim loading at boot up, when he connected to the internet IE went bottom up, he brought it back over and I did a clean install.

I should have given up a year ago.

This last resort stuff is for the birds

Edited by DaChew, 30 May 2008 - 02:37 PM.

Chewy

#10 Stressed Out888

Stressed Out888
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2008 - 02:23 AM

Yeah, I agree. I think you should do a clean install about once a year. Things just go wonky. Several months I got a new hd and used a basic XP image with XP2 on it, then i started building up from there. looks like though that may be all in vain though since SP3 just came out. I know when I made a slipstream cd with SP2 on it, it was a real PIA. I don't want to make one up again going through all that in Nero.

I think there's an app out now that makes making a slip stream easy? Is that right?

#11 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2008 - 05:35 AM

When I made my slipstream of sp1 into the original xp cab files I handtyped the commands, sp2 was easier with better directions available and copy/paste

sp3 was a breeze with nlite

I use nero or imageburn for iso burning
Chewy

#12 Stressed Out888

Stressed Out888
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2008 - 11:19 PM

Yeah, I think nlite is the one. I should make a slipstream CD with SP2 pretty quick.

Thanks

#13 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2008 - 11:23 PM

support for sp1 has been gone awhile

support for sp2 will be next

final plans are only updates for sp3
Chewy

#14 Stressed Out888

Stressed Out888
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2008 - 05:22 AM

I made the Slipstream CD tonite with SP3. nlite didn't work for me. It gave me errors. Saying I need a fresh copy or whatever. So, I went and did it the other way using Nero 6 and with instructions from the Tachtech team. I made quite a few coasters as well tonight. A lot of my CDRW have failed on me. It's time to call it a night. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

#15 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2008 - 06:54 AM

nlite requires the latest build, a healthy computer with a good install of net 2 package

CD/DVD burning is a science in itself, I gave up on cdrw's long ago and far away, that technology stinks

verbatim or sony cd-r's are ok, taiyo yuden made in japan are the best media
Chewy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users