Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WinME

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 03 April 2005 - 12:55 PM

First, to all who are reading this...
If you have WinME and have been unable to successfully download and install Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1, please PM me.

Q: What is the program or procedure for removing the unchecked/unwanted/unneeded items in MSCONFIG?

Q: What way is there to remove something from Add/Remove Programs that is too stubborn or corrupt to remove? (I haven't tried Safe Mode yet).

Q: What specific programs (well-documented) or browsers conflict with WinME?

Q: Other than CCleaner, what other simple and safe free programs are available for registry cleanup/repair?

Q: Is the procedure the same for removing manufacturer installed McAfee or Norton AV with ME and XP?

Q: What are those WinSock and WinSock2 folders for in REGEDIT and can you safely remove them at any time?

Q: Is WildTangent Multiplayer Library in Add/Remove Programs associated with baddies or with online games?

Thanks very much for any and all input here.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2005 - 07:08 PM

Hi TexasAngel67,

I don't use ME so I am going to stay away from some of your items. I did find the answer to two.

http://www.kayodeok.btinternet.co.uk/favor...ethirdparty.htm I found a list of issues here. I also found a ton of stuff on the MS Knowledgebase, but no simple list.

Q: What are those WinSock and WinSock2 folders for in REGEDIT and can you safely remove them at any time?

Flying a little blind here but... winsock.dll and winsock2.dll is needed for communications by your computer.

winsock.dll is a module that contains the Windows Sockets API used by most Internet and network applications to handle network connections.

From ProcessLibrary.com

I know this doesn't answer everything, but I hope it helps some.

Rigel

ps... Safe mode is a good bet to try when other things wont work. Try removng programs there. I have had software companies advise me to install certain programs in safe mode that wouldn't load other ways. Not sure if that is the best practice, but it worked in that case.

Edited by rigelslight, 03 April 2005 - 07:11 PM.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2005 - 10:29 PM

First, to all who are reading this...
If you have WinME and have been unable to successfully download and install Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1, please PM me.

Q: What is the program or procedure for removing the unchecked/unwanted/unneeded items in MSCONFIG?

Q: What way is there to remove something from Add/Remove Programs that is too stubborn or corrupt to remove? (I haven't tried Safe Mode yet).

Q: Other than CCleaner, what other simple and safe free programs are available for registry cleanup/repair?

Q: Is the procedure the same for removing manufacturer installed McAfee or Norton AV with ME and XP?

Q: Is WildTangent Multiplayer Library in Add/Remove Programs associated with baddies or with online games?

Thanks very much for any and all input here.

I know the answer to some of these.

First of all, I've read on Microsoft's site that they do not recommend using MSConfig to permanently disable things. There are free third-party tools which will do this. Some of the items in there are intertwined with other things that could cease functioning well if something is unchecked.

However, if you're sure you want to remove an entry from there, it can often be done in the Advanced Mode in Spybot S & D. Make sure the System Startup is checked in Tools, and click on it over on the left, then highlight the entry you wish to remove and select Delete at the top.

Sometimes, the necessary information to remove a program is lost and Add/Remove Programs won't work. If you can find out all the registry keys and files and folders, you can remove them manually. Quite often, there's just no way to know. Sometimes, a reinstall is the only way to really clean things up.

Which brings me to registry cleaners. I don't trust any of them. I've used Toni Arts and Karen's Registry Cleaner (I think that's the name of it, from Karen's Powertools) and I think it's too easy to get rid of something you need. Occasionally, I'll go into the registry and physically remove something that I know is safe to get rid of, but that's always dangerous, and a registry backup is usually a good idea first.

On Win 98 or ME, it's also a good idea to know how to use a boot disk and run scanreg /restore.

Good luck getting all of McAfee off a computer. I think there's info on the net for complete removal. I see that Norton is actually removing LiveUpdate! finally.

Winsock and Winsock2 are only necessary if you want to get on the internet. If damaged, they can be replaced or repaired. Don't remove them.

Wild Tangent is associated with online games. It's moderately spyware, reporting back such things as where you download things from. It is installed by many computer manufactures, ala Wild Tangent Game Channel. If the user doesn't want the games, it can be removed. Spybot will remove some of it.

Were I to ever buy an HP or similar machine myself, I'd rid it of Wild Tangent and Backweb and all the other memory-hogging little scanners in the background that pop up and want to sell me spring flowers or want me to download Weatherbug.

Was any of this helpful?

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 03 April 2005 - 11:08 PM

I agree with Herk.
In addition, I have had no conficts with IE or Mozilla or FF with ME, another friend of mine with ME uses Opera's free version, again no problems. I also use Spybot to make changes.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2005 - 11:15 AM

Wow!
Rigel, thanks for the input. Quite helpful. I went to the link you provided and went through the list of "Third Party Program Issues" and recognized 2 items (that I've experienced) so after about 4 years with this ME system, I'm guessing that's not too bad. I even used the advice given and the problem was resolved. Thanks for the link. I've put it on Favorites/Bookmarks.

Herk, thanks very much for your reply. Very helpful!
I'll leave those items in MSCONFIG just to prevent any possible annoyances. I think someone told me of a program that will clean them up for you but not sure how safe that was. And now with your reply, I'm leaving them alone. But, some are known spyware/adware type entries including that annoying Weatherbug thing. Those are what I thought I'd remove. Anyway, it all stays. Better safe than sorry.
I'll also forget the registry cleaners.

As far as the Add/Remove Programs issue, here's the deal:
I had Google Toolbar for a long time. Love it. Want it. Need it. Recently, I had a problem with internet connection speeds and browsing speeds and my ISP had me do a few things. One of which was to Restore Defaults in IE tools. Since then, my GT vanished from IE. I tried to bring it back to no avail. Someone told me to redownload and install it. I tried that. No luck. Then I was told to remove it from Add/Remove Programs and then download and install and it should be fine. But I can't get it to remove. I get the hourglass for about 5 seconds, then it hangs. No errors. Just hangs awhile until I use Ctrl-Alt-Delete. I'll try Safe Mode shortly with fingers crossed.
My ISP also had me remove the entire folders of Winsock and Winsock2, reboot, and reconnect to see if the speeds improved. It really didn't help but I didn't have any problems from removing them. Just curious about them.
I've removed McAfee entirely before without any grief (and went with AVG instead, loved that and want to go back) but forgot how I did it. I'll Google that.
I wish I could figure out what online games or game sites come with or need that WildTangent. I don't have any problems because of it and all of my programs come back clean (that find spyware/adware, etc...), was curious more than anything.
I've got a LOT of stuff on this ME system. I've had it for 4 years now. I've got 5 very necessary entries checkmarked in MSCONFIG and generally, things run smoothly. At bootup, my system runs at 96% system resources. That's pretty good.
I have (and use) HJT, Ad-Aware, Spybot, Spyware Blaster, Spyware Doctor, A Squared, and I used CCleaner once. Not sure about that one anymore.
My system boots up at 96% system resources. Pretty good.

JG, thanks for your reply. I am going to check Spybot's options and see how to do that.

*I still want to hear from anyone with IE 6.0 installation problems.*

Further input is welcomed.

#6 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2005 - 08:08 PM

Update:

I went into Safe Mode to remove the Google Toolbar from Add/Remove Programs. As soon as I pulled it up, Google Toolbar was no longer there. So, back in normal mode, I immediately downloaded and installed the GT and am so happy to have it back. (I didn't take the new Beta, though).

But the other issue I had been having is this:

Double entry: Safe Mode can't remove either of them.

The first entry I tried to remove gave me a box that said it was a source that wasn't available. The second entry attempted, at first, to install but then stopped and clicking it again did nothing. What gives?

#7 Deodar

Deodar

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 05 April 2005 - 11:44 PM

HI Tex!,also on ME.no problems with any browser,tried all&settled on OPERA.As
to Registry tools try EASY DESK SOFTWARE for good freeware&shareware.I'm
using SYSTEM MECHANIC5from http://www.iolo .com/sm/5.interesting....
Good choice in apps you run,got em all too.Also have Avast a-v which just removed(in vault, Wild Tangent)tops list of spyware/trojan/diallers@tootorial link
here.!I DON"T touch Winsocks personally;find McAfee uninstalls OK.If anything
won't uninstall in +- progs I leave it alone.Norton engines are hardest to get rid
of-waste of space.Using free MYUNINSTALLER from ummm...Nirsoft & WINPATROL
which gives excellent advise&control over what's loading with Windows(Delete or
disable option).FUN TOO.Better watchdog than my Rottie(#out Scotty!)@Winpatrol.
Only Progs esential on loading(msconfig)are TRAY&IE;others optional!Power DEFRAG is good for maintainence.I find MSNtoolbar good,for desktop search of
files etc & web. :thumbsup:

#8 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2005 - 11:58 PM

Lots of great info, Deodar! Thanks a bunch!
I just might try Avast, although I had AVG in the past and really liked it. But I have heard only good things about Avast.
Your post is quite helpful. I think I'll follow your advice as well as the advice of the others who have posted. Best to leave well enough alone. And I'll check that link.
Thanks for taking the time to provide your experience and knowledge.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users