Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extremely Slow Computer (suddenly)

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 kellbellnooksack

kellbellnooksack

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:14 PM

I have an emachine that has suddenly become extremely slow. I was in the middle of burning a c/d (normally) and it just slowed all of a sudden to almost non- functioning. Have run AVG, Norton, Ad-Aware and Spybot and have only found cookies (removed). Upgraded to 2Gb memory - didn't help. All systems seem to run, but very slow. Takes about 20 minutes just to start up. Help, please?!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:28 PM

Hi kellbellnooksack, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

Did you run those scans in Safe Mode?

How large is you hdd, and how much free space do you have?

Are you running AVG and Norton's anti virus? If so you should only have one active at a time, this will cause conflicts like false positives and other fun things.

Edited by dc3, 29 May 2008 - 11:31 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 kellbellnooksack

kellbellnooksack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2008 - 04:12 PM

Hello!
No, I didn't run them in safe mode; I removed Norton (resource hog!) and replaced it with AVG. Have 160gb hard drive, with at least 1gb free (compter used mainly for photos, internet, and word processing.) Temporary files have been removed (Ran disk clean and defrag.)
Will running the scans in safe mode make a difference?
Thanks!

#4 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2008 - 04:32 PM

If you have a 160gb hard drive and you only have 1gb of free space that would explain why your computer is slow...It's a wonder that it will run at all!! I think that you need to move some of those photos onto another external hard drive or burn them to CD's...You stated that you are having problems burning CD's so you may have to go down to Walmart and pick yourself up an external and go from there...I bought one there for around $60...It's only 40gb, but even that would give you the space you need for XP to start to remotely function right...I'm surprized that you are even able to De-fragment with that little free space...It is recommended that for XP to work properly you need about 25% free space to allow room for swapping...

Edited by douglas martin, 30 May 2008 - 04:33 PM.

Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#5 kellbellnooksack

kellbellnooksack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2008 - 08:00 PM

OOPS! I am SO sorry! I meant 100gb left!

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 30 May 2008 - 09:37 PM

Try running your scans in Safe Mode, this is a special mode with a limited amount of applications running which makes it ideal for searching out infections. Let us know what you find.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 31 May 2008 - 12:23 PM

Hi,
I would also want to add something. You should defrag your computer at least once a month, remove some of the applications that you don't need. Run scandisk/checkdisk in Safe Mode. It will repair anything that it finds.

With Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#8 kellbellnooksack

kellbellnooksack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2008 - 12:29 PM

Ran Scans in safe mode - nothing found but a few tracking cookies. Ran checkdisk - took about 12 hours! didn't seem to make any difference. Says I have 106 gb available. Any other suggestions? I do run a defrag occasionally, but as I don't have much on my computer anyway it never does a whole lot. Ran defrag and cleanup before posting here.

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2008 - 12:48 PM

Hello I would recommend you do these 2 things.
First run the Norton Removal Tool to be sure all traces of It are off the PC and not causing a slow down.

Next run this scan and post back the scan results log.
Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on Download_mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
  • MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue. If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
  • On the Scanner tab:
    • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
    • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
  • Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to restart your computer. (see Note below)
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts. Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 kellbellnooksack

kellbellnooksack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2008 - 10:31 PM

Hi - mbam found nothing - here is the log:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.14
Database version: 816

8:27:15 PM 6/2/2008
mbam-log-6-2-2008 (20-27-15).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 61306
Time elapsed: 37 minute(s), 53 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#11 kellbellnooksack

kellbellnooksack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:57 PM

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Could it be a hardware problem? The only program has had to shut down for whatever reason (or doesn't start up at all) is the Kodak Easyshare software for my camera. Could this be causing the problems? I greatly appreciate any input! Thanks!

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:12 PM

Uninstall the burn program you previously used (since you only mention it as a possible trigger for the problem)...either reinstall it or try a different burn program.

Possible corruption, uninstalling should take care of that (if it has occurred). If you're in love with the program, then reinstall/update it and do a test burn.

Louis

#13 kellbellnooksack

kellbellnooksack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2008 - 08:58 PM

thank you for all your ideas, but nothing seems to be helping. I removed the windows media player and my kodak software. Is there such a thing as hardware testing downloads that may find something?

#14 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:57 PM

Did this all occur after you upgraded the RAM?
You could try running this Memtest86 as perhaps the RAM is faulty.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#15 kellbellnooksack

kellbellnooksack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2008 - 10:14 PM

No - it was added after hoping it would help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users