Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Operating System Cannot Be Found.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gnit2

gnit2

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 29 May 2008 - 10:50 PM

I'm trying to hook my old hard drive up to this computer, whenever I hook it up and turn it on a message is sent to me somewhat like this "Operating System cannot be found" .. I can't remember exactly what it says but it's something like that.. I know for a fact there's an operating system on the hard drive, any help would be appreciated, thanks :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:53 PM

This is often caused by a faulty hard drive. First double check all the connections and then try running a diagnostic on it.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:57 PM

Hi gnit2, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

Is the a IDE/ATA hdd, or a SATA hdd.

If it is a IDE/ATA hdd how are you connecting?

If it is a IDE/ATA hdd and you took this out of another computer and connected as the Master drive in another computer you may have generated enough problems that the operating system is now toast. If you are having trouble sleeping this article will either explain why this happens or put you to sleep.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 30 May 2008 - 04:24 AM

It really depends on the reason you are hooking up the drive. If this is just to copy files from the old machine to the new one then I would advise changing the jumper on the drive to slave and installing the drive on a seperate IDE / Sata port. This will then show as having 2 drives when the system loads.
The other issue could be the boot order and the Boot.ini file on the drive. The system will try and allocate the drive as a master as C:\ if the boot.ini file on the other drive is pointed to a different drive location this will cause a problem. This normally happens if a drive is a slave drive on a machine with XP installed and the Boot.ini file is on a primary drive that is still located in the old machine. This is a common issue for people that run multiple drives. I am not sure if this is in your case I just thought I would throw it out there just in case.

If you could advise for what purpose you are trying to use the old drive that would help in us giving advise to resolve your issue.
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users