Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freezing - Conexant's Video Capture

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 AdRoK

AdRoK

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 29 May 2008 - 10:07 PM

Lately my computer has been freezing. I'm getting a white screen (sometimes with stripes) and a black box where the cursor last was. It seems to happen whenever I'm about to (or after) I click on an object with my mouse, I don't think there is any relation between the freezing and the mouse though. When I check the 'System' in the 'Event Viewer' after a freeze it shows that there was an error in the Service Control Manager. When I open the properties I see this message, "The Conexant's BtPCI WDM Video Capture service failed to start due to the following error:
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. "

Here's some system info
Windows XP Home SP3
AMD Athlon 64 3200
MSI Radeon Xpress 200
(I have an ATI TV Wonder card in there also and it isn't having any new issues)

Help!

Edited by AdRoK, 29 May 2008 - 10:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 30 May 2008 - 05:25 AM

Are you aware of the issues with XP SP3 and AMD processors?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2008 - 08:32 AM

Conexant...what device?

Have you tried to remove it or reinstall it or update the drivers for same?

Louis

#4 AdRoK

AdRoK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2008 - 10:48 AM

1. I was not aware of the AMD issues with XPSP3. I'm not sure I understand how that helps me now though. note: I have 'System Restore' turned off.

2. I'm not sure what device it is. The only place I see that it's associated with is 'Legacy Video Capture Devices.' I'm not sure what piece of hardware that goes with. I don't think it's my TV capture card because that seems to be working okay and the ATI Video Capture has a seperate driver.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2008 - 11:00 AM

If you don't know what it is...and you don't need it...remove the drivers, using Device Manager.

It might be conflicting with the ATI card.

From what I read about Conexant, my guess is that it's a webcam (the unknown device). They do have video drivers also and Conexant probably provides the chips for many.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conexant

I have a couple of ATI capture cards :thumbsup:.

Louis

#6 AdRoK

AdRoK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2008 - 11:28 AM

For some reason I don't have the option to uninstall! Also, when I double-clicked the 'Legacy Video Capture Devices' and went to the 'Properties' tab it gives me the option remove the Conexant driver from the list of Video Capture Devices. On trial of removal I get a warning that Windows needs it. I tried to remove it anyways but it just came back. I tried uninstalling my webcam, even though it wasn't hooked up, and still no luck. Why wouldn't there be an uninstall option?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:24 PM

Don't know...you might also remove all software installed with the webcam first, maybe it's the control for the driver.

Maybe the driver is corrupt and cannot be properly uninstalled...in which case, I would probably resort to eliminating by deleting registry entries and files related to the webcam.

You are rebooting after doing these things, right? Maybe it's time to run chkdsk /r on your system.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 30 May 2008 - 12:26 PM.

#8 AdRoK

AdRoK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2008 - 05:47 PM

I ran chkdsk /r and it didn't come up with anything. Any other ideas out there?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users