Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Transfer Files From One Pc To Another (complicated)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tim2286

tim2286

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 29 May 2008 - 09:33 PM

Well the complicated part is that one of the pcs doesn't turn on .... only when in the safe mode. I'm particularly concerned about the photos on that pc. The two pcs are connected wirelessly btw. Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 syunichi

syunichi

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 29 May 2008 - 10:13 PM

Doesnt turn on...only when safe mode? Does it means you cant log in into normal mode? Just a thought :thumbsup:
Posted Image

Tech Support: "Do you have any windows open right now?"
Customer: "Are you crazy woman, it's twenty below outside..."

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 29 May 2008 - 10:28 PM

This is a little bit thin to work with. What make and model are the two computers? Are the hdds both IDE/ATA, or are they SATA hdds.

If they are both IDE hdds and you are using a PC install the hdd from the non-functioning computer as a slave drive on the same IDE cable that the other hdd is connected to as the master. You will have to set the jumper on the rear of the two hdds so the the one connected to the end of the cable is set as Master (M), and the Slave hdd is connected to the middle connector and set the jumper as Slave (S). There is a good tutorial for this installation, you can read it here.

If this is a laptop you will need an external enclosure that connect via a USB port.

Once you have the hdds go to My Computer and see what the new hdd is being recognized as under Hard Disk Drives. If this is connected to a USB port it may show up as a removable storage.

Right click on start, click on Explore. Go down the list on the left side till you find your old hdd, double click on it and the contents should appear on the right side of the screen. You can click on the file that you wish to move and hold the button down and drag this over to your C drive, the C drive will highlight in blue, release the button and it will have been moved to the C drive.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 30 May 2008 - 04:38 AM

DC3 has hit the nail on the head. Just wanty to add a piece of kit that I use alot to attache slave drives. This will take Laptop drives, Sata drives and standard IDE drives and connect them to a USB port on the new machine. Very useful for backups and transfering files.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IDE-SATA-to-USB-Adap...1QQcmdZViewItem

For the cost they are a god send. I actually have 2 of them now 1 for work and 1 for home.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users