Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dead

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 atvguy585

atvguy585

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 29 May 2008 - 04:27 PM

Okay so I bought the stuff below and my computer doesnt beep or show anything on screen. So I thought the board was dead but they sent a new one and it still doesn't work. Any ideas?

Asus P5NE-SLI
E6550 Intel Processor
(4) 2gb Patriot DDR2-800
Video Card PCI (Tried 2 Different ones)
Water Cooling (CPU, Hard Drive)
750W Power Supply

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 29 May 2008 - 05:43 PM

RAM...is it compatible with that board? Is it on the reommended list (Qualified Vendors List) that's in the motherboard manual...or otherwise guaranteed by seller to work with that board?

I have a system right now (which I will tackle this weekend) with the same scenario.

Also an Asus board, interestingly enough.

I've pretty much used ECS and PC Chips boards for 10 years or so...with no problems at all, despite the contempt which many hold for those two board manufacturers. The minute I try an Asus board, I run into this. I'm starting to think that Asus motherboards are particular re memory inserted, but I will test that theory in a couple of days.

Might as well try the standard stuff...make sure the board is not shorting, remove/reseat the memory, remove/reseat the video card (if not onboard).

Louis

#3 atvguy585

atvguy585
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 06:06 PM

Thank you but yes tried all of that. The memory is qualified for a board similar but I don't know I'm starting to think the ram is the problem. I don't know when I get money I will get ram absolutly certified 100% postive.

Keep me updated with your project to, maybe it might help me.

Dan

#4 Rei 0

Rei 0

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 29 May 2008 - 06:15 PM

I have that motherboard and I'm using RAM that wasn't on the list. It works great. (Granted, I haven't looked to see what was added with the new BIOS revisions, but I haven't updated that either.) I have video card problems but that's another story all together.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 29 May 2008 - 06:36 PM

Do you have the stand-offs in the correct holes and not touching anything they're not supposed to? Any bumps on the mounting plate that might be grounding the bottom of the motherboard?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 atvguy585

atvguy585
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2008 - 07:27 AM

Ya its all but I will double check the water cooling plate on the back of the board is not grounding because its metal unlike my old motherboard.

#7 atvguy585

atvguy585
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2008 - 07:30 AM

I have that motherboard and I'm using RAM that wasn't on the list. It works great. (Granted, I haven't looked to see what was added with the new BIOS revisions, but I haven't updated that either.) I have video card problems but that's another story all together.

What brand ram are you using? And how big and speed?

But you know if it was the ram the board would beep in post?, because it doesn't.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 30 May 2008 - 09:17 AM

I just came across this procedural list, may be useful: http://support.gateway.com/s/Checklists/BP...007050376.shtml

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users