Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Super Anti Spyware And Avast Pro Edition

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 darkrose

darkrose

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 29 May 2008 - 10:51 AM

I'm used to having a security suite and now i'm running zone alarm{love that firewall} avast pro edition{trial version} and i have super-anti spyware{free} what i'm curious about is it o.k to leave avast running when i use super-anti-spyware?could i enable the real time protection for the spyware program without causing conflicts between the two programs? i also have mbam downloaded but am hesitating to install-not knowing if it will cause conflicts. i have read through these forums and did research before i picked my security programs but when it comes to how to use them and to avoid conflicts-i'm pretty much clueless.i'm also very careful where i surf so i'm pretty sure what i have will suffice. any and all advice would be much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:05 AM

Yes you can run an SAS scan and there won't be any conflicts.

#3 darkrose

darkrose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:31 AM

thank you frankp316, this is totally new territory for me :thumbsup:

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,743 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 29 May 2008 - 12:42 PM

There also should not be any conflicts when running MBAM.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 darkrose

darkrose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 02:24 PM

There also should not be any conflicts when running MBAM.

thank you quietman 7 :thumbsup:

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,743 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 02:47 PM

You're welcome.

#7 darkrose

darkrose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 03:34 PM

i have one more question,with what i'm running for security do i need a rootkit program as well?there's so much information that i get a little swamped with everything.if i do need one what would be recommended? thank you for the responses- i feel a lot better knowing i can come here for help. :thumbsup:

#8 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 04:26 PM

Hi darkrose,
Avast should have Anti-rootkit built in so I don't think you need another anti-rookit program.

Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,743 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 05:19 PM

There are many free ARK tools but some require a certain level of expertise and investigative ability to use. These are a few of the easier ones for novice users.
AVG Anti-Rootkit
Sophos Anti-Rootkit
Panda AntiRootkit

Note: Not all hidden components detected by ARKs are malicious. It is normal for a Firewall, some Anti-virus and Anti-malware software (ProcessGuard, Prevx1, AVG AS), sandboxes, virtual machines and Host based Intrusion Prevention Systems (HIPS) to hook into the OS kernal/SSDT in order to protect your system. You should not be alarmed if you see any hidden entries created by these software programs after performing a scan.

Before performing a scan it is recommended to do the following to ensure more accurate results and avoid common issues that may cause false detections.
  • Disconnect from the Internet or physically unplug you Internet cable connection.
  • Close all open programs, scheduling/updating tasks and background processes that might activate during the scan including the screensaver.
  • Temporarily disable your anti-virus and real-time anti-spyware protection.
  • After starting the scan, do not use the computer until the scan has completed.
  • When finished, re-enable your anti-virus/anti-malware (or reboot) and then you can reconnect to the Internet.

#10 darkrose

darkrose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 09:22 PM

thank you extremeboy and quietman7,i really appreciate the help.i think i will leave the rootkit programs alone for now.i believe my firewall is doing most of the work anyway! :thumbsup:

#11 3xist

3xist

• Banned
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2008 - 01:45 AM

Hi darkrose,
Avast should have Anti-rootkit built in so I don't think you need another anti-rookit program.

Regards,
Extremeboy

Yep, Avast! v4.8 does have built in anti rookit detection :thumbsup:

Josh

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,743 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2008 - 06:18 AM

v4.8.1169 also includes built-in anti-spyware protection along with the built-in ARK. However, some malware can disable anti-virus programs, so it doesn't hurt to have a separate stand-alone ARK in case you need it.

#13 darkrose

darkrose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2008 - 11:09 AM

v4.8.1169 also includes built-in anti-spyware protection along with the built-in ARK. However, some malware can disable anti-virus programs, so it doesn't hurt to have a separate stand-alone ARK in case you need it.

i think what i will do is this-download the avg anti-rootkit app but i won't install it unless i have a reason to.also i believe my dial-up is a big deterrent when it comes to nasties- it's wayyy slow :thumbsup:

#14 1Bart

1Bart

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2008 - 02:50 AM

Since you and I seem to be along he same lines.....trials and frees abound.....Just maintain.... ONE ACTIVE Virus Protection...

A couple of Active SPYWARE programs is OK and actually recommended and different company's interpretations of such WILL vary and is therefore beneficial. Free on-line scans follow this thinking.

As for "cleaning" the Registry.....Windows Live One Care, "cleans-up" the Registry. I do not know of any other scan that does this.....perhaps someone else does.......

http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm?s_cid=sah

After the scan is complete.....remember to click "No" for "permanent protection". I never have and it seems as if we have enough protections milling around for now.

Edited by 1Bart, 31 May 2008 - 02:51 AM.

#15 Lipper

Lipper

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2008 - 01:21 PM

i think what i will do is this-download the avg anti-rootkit app but i won't install it unless i have a reason to.also i believe my dial-up is a big deterrent when it comes to nasties- it's wayyy slow :flowers:

I believe AVG Anti-Rootkit has been incorporated into AVG 8.0, and is no longer updated / supported as a stand alone program. :thumbsup:

http://free.grisoft.com/ww.download-avg-an...nd-anti-rootkit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users