Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd Burning And Compatibility Issues

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 protocell

protocell

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 29 May 2008 - 09:51 AM

i have a combo DVD/CD-RW drive and i just recently bought a DVD-writer so that i can burn DVDs. i'm just asking why doesn't my combo drive read my burned DVDs? so far, i already burned DVD-Rs and DVD+Rs and both of them is not compatible or either unreadable on my combo drive. i used nero 7 essentials that is included with my DVD-writer and i'm sure i followed all instructions but when i tried putting in all the burned DVDs i made, it didn't read any of it. i checked the compatibility issues of the combo drive using my old nero 6, and i'm sure that it can read DVD+R and DVD-R up to DVD+R DL so why wasn't it able to read my dvds? even before burning, i tried inserting a blank DVD+R and DVD-R on the combo drive to see if it will read any of the two, but it did not. i forgot to tell you that all the said DVDs did read on my DVD-writer and my burned DVDs are only data DVDs. only that the combo drive doesn't read any of it. my combo drive is an HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC4522B LG and my DVD-writer is an ASUS DRW-2014L1 drive. they are both in IDE interface. thanks in advance for any help...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:43 PM

Do you have the drives set up as Master and Slave. The IDE cable has two connectors on it, the one in the middle is for the Slave drive, the one on the end is for the Master drive. You also need to set the jumpers on the drives as Master and Slave.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 protocell

protocell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2008 - 06:18 AM

thanks for the reply. i had aleady setup the two drives even before i burned. i double-checked it again a while ago and it is okay. besides, if ever i was wrong with setting the two drives, none of the two will be detected or either the cmos detects a wrong jumper setting on the IDEs. i believe this a software problem or there is more i need to know on how to burn a DVD correctly.

#4 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:07 PM

1. Does the DVD/CD-RW show up in the device manager? Is the drive itself read? Is it listed under the Disk Management (start > right click My computer > mange> Disk Management)?

#5 protocell

protocell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2008 - 07:59 PM

yes it is. both them are read on my MY COMPUTER. i looked even in the device manager. both are also there. when i boot up, the two are also there on the cmos.

#6 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,670 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2008 - 11:11 PM

• You may try this tool first: http://www.dougknox.com

• If it didn't work you may try manually deleting the upper and lower filter keys. The fix is usually done when the DVD/CD is not read at all it does no harm trying it, make sure you backup the registry before doing it: http://support.microsoft.com

#7 protocell

protocell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2008 - 06:28 PM

thanks farbar for the advice. i already found out the solution. i decided to update the firmware of the combo drive and luckily, i found an update so i immediately downloaded it and updated the firmware. after restarting the computer i tried to insert one of my burned DVD discs and the combo drive read it. thanks again farbar and dc3 for helping on this one.

#8 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,670 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2008 - 06:33 PM

Glad you solved the problem protocell and thanks for letting us know, the solution may help others with the same problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users