Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Wont Open

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 uncfingers

uncfingers

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 29 May 2008 - 09:25 AM

:thumbsup: hi can anyone help...my daughters computer wont open....when it is switched on it loads to the signing in screen and when she clicks on user name the computer opens up but then immediately closes down again...can anyone help....they are running windows xp...many thanks :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 09:48 AM

Could be any number of things...Maybe hardware....Maybe failing drivers....Are there are any error codes displayed before the system shuts down? Can you boot in Safe Mode? If you can you may be able to do some troubleshooting from there...Such as "event viewer"....Start>Run> type "eventvwr" (without the quotes)>OK....Look there for event logs...Copy and paste them in a reply if you can. It may help diagnose your problem.
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 29 May 2008 - 09:49 AM

Does the computer try to restart or just shut itself off. If it is just shutting down it could be a overheating issue. Open the case and look to see if you have any dust built up inside, especially in the heat sink and fan on the CPU.

Have there been any new software or hardware added recently?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 uncfingers

uncfingers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:20 AM

:thumbsup: hi have passed on the info re overheating to my daughters boyfriend and will let you know the results....and yes it opens very very briefly a matter of milliseconds then logs off.. watch this space !!!thanks

#5 uncfingers

uncfingers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:24 AM

:thumbsup: hi again as for starting in safe mode how do i get it to do that ....sorry but i am not a super douper expert ....i did manage to change the screen by pushing f4 but wasnt sure what to do next ....if you can tell me from there i might b able to do what you suggested..thanks once again :flowers:

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:41 AM

To access Safe Mode you start tapping the F8 key as soon as you start the computer and continue till a black page with white lettering appears, near the top there should be an option for Safe Mode, click on that option. There are two other options for Safe Mode, but you want the one that says Safe Mode only. A page will open with the explanation of what Safe Mode is, click on OK and it will launch Safe Mode. If this is a heat related problem it won't matter, it will still shut down the computer. There is a thermal sensor at the base of the CPU that reads the temperature, if it exceeds the preset temperature it will shut down the computer to keep the CPU safe.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 uncfingers

uncfingers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2008 - 03:35 AM

:thumbsup: passed on info and he has done what you suggested he cleaned dust from fan etc and tried to get safe mode to open but still no joy ..any more suggestions please....many thanks :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users