Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help Using Bootable Floppy

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 redoak

redoak

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 29 May 2008 - 05:30 AM

I created a bootable floppy as instructed in "XP" Help and Support. When I went to test it, I found the DOS window showing A:\>

I know it is looking for a command. What is it????

Many thanks, {redoak}
I am 81 years "young" and enjoying becoming computer "savvy." Need help from sites like this from time to time. Thanks to the folks who provide the assistance to those of us in need.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 snafumaster

snafumaster

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 29 May 2008 - 05:49 AM

for a quick list of available commands, try help /?

#3 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 07:28 AM

I am not completely sure what you are asking but I'll give it a shot.

From the DOS command A:\ type in "dir" (without the quotes) then Enter.

That will give you a list of files installed on the floppy disk. Probably something like "boot.ini" will be in there.

In order to test that your disks work you will have to change your BIOS settings to "Boot from Floppy". How to get there may very from different manufacturers. Most use F2 key while computer is restarting.

Once you get that set. Shut down computer. Install Floppy and restart. If your disks are good you will be able to boot into windows. If they aren't good...Windows won't Open...

I would recommend setting up a restore point before doing this just in case you need to recover if something goes BADLY...

Edited by douglas martin, 29 May 2008 - 07:30 AM.

Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#4 redoak

redoak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2008 - 05:28 AM

I posted a "quick reply" yesterday giving thanks and saying I would be back. Apparently that was never saved here.

The first suggestion gave an error message "invalid."

The list from the second suggestion did not contain a "boot.ini" in the list. In fact, there were no items with an extension.

I have done considerable searching for info on how to use a bootable "floppy" to no avail. Plenty on how to create one, however. Very frustrating that "how to use" doesn't merit any attention.

Further advice from folks here at Radified will be greatly appreciated.

{redoak}
I am 81 years "young" and enjoying becoming computer "savvy." Need help from sites like this from time to time. Thanks to the folks who provide the assistance to those of us in need.

#5 redoak

redoak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2008 - 05:34 AM

Sorry to have used "Radified" instead of "Bleeping Computer!" in my immediately previous post. I had just left the other site, where I had reopened something from many months ago.

{redoak}

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2008 - 09:00 AM

May I ask what you are attempting to do and what problems you are having? You do know that you can boot straight to the XP CD correct?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2008 - 09:00 AM

Try looking through this:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/create-floppy-boot-disk-in-windows/

It explains how to use boot disks. The information that I gave you about boot.ini was wrong...I was thinking about something altogether different...Sorry for the confusion...
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#8 redoak

redoak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2008 - 10:48 AM

Mark: Thanks for the response. Yes, I know I can boot to the Ws CD, if all goes well. However, as is noted at the site referenced above - What is a boot disk and why do I need one?

A boot disk is a floppy or a CD that you can use to boot your computer into a state in which you can use it to fix a problem. There will be times that your computer may not boot up properly and thus you can not access files or attempt fixes that you are asked to do. When situations like this occur, having a boot disk is necessary as you will be able to access files and attempt fixes that may allow you to make your computer operational again.

With today's current versions of Windows, you will need a working version of Windows to make a boot disk on your own. With that said, it is a good thing to have a boot disk pre made and ready in case there is a problem with starting Windows in the future. .

I wanted another way of booting. Besides, I am interested in learning about computer procedures. I just continue to be curious in my old age. :thumbsup:

I have read the info at the referenced site and will proceed with a test. I will be back tomorrow with a report.

{redoak}

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2008 - 01:34 PM

There are Live Linux CD's that you can run to access a damaged Windows install. There is also BartPE that might be of interest to you
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#10 redoak

redoak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2008 - 07:18 AM

All is well! I made the floppy, followed startup instructions and the laptop booted.

Mark- Thanks for the suggestions for me to check out.

I believe I am no longer in need of help on this topic.

Many thanks, {redoak}

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users