Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Service Pack 1

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Paulrenno

Paulrenno

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 29 May 2008 - 04:50 AM

I have noticed on Windows Update that there is a Vista Service Pack 1. Has anyone downloaded it? If so how long did it take, and is it worth downloading?

I just need reassuring before I attempt to download it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 IsMe

IsMe

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 29 May 2008 - 06:57 AM

I have noticed on Windows Update that there is a Vista Service Pack 1. Has anyone downloaded it? If so how long did it take, and is it worth downloading?

I just need reassuring before I attempt to download it.

I think, if memory serves, that the file size is about 300Mb. I don't remember how long it took. Are you on dialup or broadband?

It was worth it for me as previous to this, when I tried vista on my laptop, my browser would lock up intermittently, whether I was using IE or Firefox. Now it doesn't with Sp1.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 07:19 AM

Experiences with SP1 around the web have been pretty good now that it's "mainstream" (manufacturer's are shipping systems with it pre-installed).

There's a bunch of links here about SP1 info: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows...a/bb738089.aspx
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:13 AM

Thanks for your replies. I am on broadband. I was wondering whether it was worth downloading it or not as I dont have any problems with Vista.
if I dont like it, do I have the option of Ad/Remove?

Does it take a lot of resources?

#5 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:55 AM

Before installing, make sure you update your hardware and check your software to see if there are any updates. Most software will work with SP1 but there are a few cases where an update would be required.

Also, update your antivirus, anti-spyware and run scans (in SAFE MODE if possible) to make sure you don't have any infections. Get cleaned by the professionals here at Bleeping Computer if you need to.

Make sure you close all programs and DISABLE all your realtime protection before installing SP1. Just keep the Windows Firewall on....that should keep you protected enough until the computer reboots. If you're working behind a hardware firewall (ie: a router) then even better. Turn off your screensaver also.

The install can take anywhere from 30 minutes to over 5 hours!! It all depends on what's on your system. Most of the install will occur outside of Windows. Do not turn off your computer while SP1 is installing. At times, your computer may appear to hang for a while and even your Hard drive may go quiet. Don't worry...this is normal. I would suggest that you go and do something else while SP1 is installing due to the length of time it takes.

The comp can reboot once, twice or more during the install. Again, do NOT interupt it.

Once you are back at your desktop, the install is over and SP1 should be on your computer.

Good luck.
:huh:

#6 IsMe

IsMe

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 01:09 PM

Thanks for your replies. I am on broadband. I was wondering whether it was worth downloading it or not as I dont have any problems with Vista.
if I dont like it, do I have the option of Ad/Remove?

Does it take a lot of resources?

What do you use as a backup device in case your hard drive or your computer dies without warning? You can also make a Restore point before you install Sp1. But you should be using something like Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image .... everyone should.

#7 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2008 - 10:46 AM

Many thanks for all your advise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users