Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avg 8.0

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Alio0p

Alio0p

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 29 May 2008 - 01:20 AM

Hiyas , I have had AVG Anti Virus pro version a little over a month now . and I was trying to set up a scheduled scan and it will not let me. :thumbsup:

I even went into the Advanced Settings and right clked on Scedules in the tree and named it, then clked save and it said the plugin had an error. and when I do it through the interface it won't save the schedule I set up. :)

It's getting to be real frustrating. I paid for the full version so I don't have to clk on the update button or manualy scan my system all the time. and niether is working properly. :inlove:

The update manager fails when windows loads up. it says it failed , so I clk "update now" and it works fine. im like at my wits end with this thing! :trumpet: I just wounder if I have missed somthing.:flowers:

I run Windows XP pro sp3 , along with Outpost pro firewall and yes it was doing this before I got service pack 3 and installed it. it's done this since I downloaded it an activated the license.

please help me before I scream! lol :woot:
~ Screw Lucky Charms, I'm Already Magically Delicious! ~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Alan D

Alan D

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 29 May 2008 - 04:09 AM

You're not the only one to be having problems with AVG8, sadly. Since you're a paying customer (like me, although I'm still using AVG 7.5), you can email the AVG Technical Department directly and get a personal response to your problem - usually within 48 hours. In my experience in the past this has been very effective, though it sometimes takes the exchange of several emails. With a tricky problem they can send you diagnostic tools that you can run and then send them the log file so they can see what's going on and advise you better.
Windows XP Home SP2; AVG 7.5 Internet Security Suite (AV/AS r.t.p, and firewall); Windows Defender (r.t.p on); SuperAntispyware Free; a-squared Free 3.5.0.15; Spybot 1.4 (Immunised, but no Tea-timer); AdAware SE Free; AVG Anti-Rootkit Free; Spywareblaster; MVPS Hosts file (with HostsMan); McAfee Site Advisor.

#3 Alio0p

Alio0p
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 10:22 AM

Ahh , okay thanks a bunch i'll email them today :thumbsup:

#4 don1982

don1982

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 10:31 AM

I upgraded to AVG8 now each time I run it it "finds" in excess of 470 "things" - trackers, cookies, trojans - all much the same - now I move all to virus vault, empty vault and with no further internet activity - next time it runs it finds them all again - is it me or what?

#5 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:03 AM

I don't use the product but if you look at some of the threads here, AVG has recently had a lot of problems with false positives related to SpywareBlaster.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,576 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 29 May 2008 - 12:32 PM

AVG FAQS: Viruses and other threats
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 04:29 PM

I don't use the product but if you look at some of the threads here, AVG has recently had a lot of problems with false positives related to SpywareBlaster.

Avg 8.0 also have some conflicts with the Spybot S&D immunize feature as well as Spywareblaster. I would just ignore the "warnings" for now, just worry about if you get any infections/spyware.
Take a look here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/143321/avg-8-and-spywareblaster-conflicts-are-occuring/

Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#8 orion944

orion944

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 07 June 2008 - 12:35 PM

Does anyone know the status of AVG's fixes? I understand they are working on upgrades for the 8.0 release, in fact the current downloads say 8.0.1. Do they have anything resolved yet?

#9 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2008 - 01:35 PM

I don't think anything is resloved yet. The conflicts between the 2 still remains. AVG hasn't been able to fix the false positives yet.

Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#10 orion944

orion944

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2008 - 07:17 PM

I don't think anything is resloved yet. The conflicts between the 2 still remains. AVG hasn't been able to fix the false positives yet.

Extremeboy

Thanks, Extremeboy

I guess it's more of a task for them than they first thought. I've been using Avast for a few days now, and it seems to be doing OK. Hope AVG gets it together soon, though.

#11 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2008 - 07:32 PM

I guess it's more of a task for them than they first thought. I've been using Avast for a few days now, and it seems to be doing OK. Hope AVG gets it together soon, though.

i hope AVG gets it together soon as well. I was just wondering though, how's Avast? I have used it but the scans took like forever!!No offence to the people who use it. Does the scan take a long time for you as well? I compared the scans with AVG. Avg took 2-3 hours. Avast takes 3-5 hours

Extremeboy

#12 Alan D

Alan D

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2008 - 03:43 AM

Does anyone know the status of AVG's fixes?

The beta release of their service pack 1 (which contains the activeX fix) was released a week or two ago, but I'm told there's still work to be done on other aspects.
Windows XP Home SP2; AVG 7.5 Internet Security Suite (AV/AS r.t.p, and firewall); Windows Defender (r.t.p on); SuperAntispyware Free; a-squared Free 3.5.0.15; Spybot 1.4 (Immunised, but no Tea-timer); AdAware SE Free; AVG Anti-Rootkit Free; Spywareblaster; MVPS Hosts file (with HostsMan); McAfee Site Advisor.

#13 orion944

orion944

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2008 - 01:31 PM

i hope AVG gets it together soon as well. I was just wondering though, how's Avast? I have used it but the scans took like forever!!No offence to the people who use it. Does the scan take a long time for you as well? I compared the scans with AVG. Avg took 2-3 hours. Avast takes 3-5 hours

Extremeboy

Avast seems to be working OK. My first scan did take a long time as you say, but since, I've been using normal or quick scans. The normal one takes a little less than 15 minutes I think. I'm not crazy about the interface, but it works, and for the price.......... :thumbsup:

#14 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2008 - 03:23 PM

Thanks for letting me know.
Also for those people wondering aobut the False Positives I think that they are going to get that fixed, however they didn't say anything about certian areas being fixed but they did say that the issuewill
be fixed with the next major update of AVG scheduled for June(this June).
Take a read here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry848137

Regards,
Extremeboy

#15 Alio0p

Alio0p
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2008 - 04:25 PM

Hello , I'm back with good news ! :flowers:

The AVG Anti-Virus download I had was not working right and I e-mailed customer service twice ....with no responce(blah). Frustrated I thought well why not uninstall it and reinstall it from the free trial verision; instead of the link I got in my email and just add my licence key.

Well that seemed to do the trick, I can schedule scans now and when I reboot my system AVG loads normally like it should :trumpet:. thought I would let everyone know just in case someone might be having the same issue. thanks again to all who replied I sure appriciate your time and help. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users