Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is My Computer Too Hot?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 MattRiddle

MattRiddle

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 28 May 2008 - 11:07 PM

I recently built my first computer this past christmas. I've had it since then and have had no problems whatsoever. But I've always a little worried that my computer is getting too hot.

I've downloaded a lot of different programs to test the temp on my computer. But I don't know what is and isn't a good temperature.

Here are the stats for the computer:

BIOSTAR TForce TF570SLI AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard
XFX PVT88PUDF4 GeForce 8800GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card
Antec earthwatts EA500 ATX12V v2.0 500W Power Supply
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model ADX6000CZBOX

I downloaded a program called hmonitor. I installed it and loaded it up, and these were the temperatures for my computer.

Mainboard (38 C)
Temp 3 (55 C)
CPU0 Core (61 C)
HDD Temperatures (40 C)
GPU (59 C)

And then it lists the "Cooling Fans"

Chassis (2481 rpm)
CPU (5443 rpm)

Are these okay reading?

I have no idea.

Matt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ab30494

ab30494

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 28 May 2008 - 11:27 PM

are those temps idle temps or under a load?

#3 MattRiddle

MattRiddle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 12:40 AM

Those temps were taken when I was playing a video game online with people. I understand its going to get hotter while more is going on, but I was just worried it could be getting too hot.

I was going to add a fan to blow in cool air since all I have right now is a fan sucking out the hot air.

#4 MattRiddle

MattRiddle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 12:57 AM

Okay, I did another reading. I was playing my game again, with the case closed and no real cool fans near the computer. I got:

Mainboard (38 C)
Temp 3 (58 C)
CPU0 Core (64 C)
GPU (60 C)

I guess that isn't much different than the original one, but it's a little higher. I am worried anything over 50 C is a bad sign. Any thoughts?

#5 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 29 May 2008 - 02:44 AM

Most of the temps are fine, but according to AMD your processor is running over max http://www.amdcompare.com/us-en/desktop/de...n=adx6000iaa6cz I would look into adding an intake case fan or replacing the heatsink. Did you use the heatsink/fan that came with the processor? You're just barely over max so if its not shutting down then you are still technically okay, but the life of the processor is reduced the hotter it runs

#6 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 08:52 AM

I'd have to agree with smurfgod. Wouldn't worry about it to much except the CPU's a little hot.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#7 MattRiddle

MattRiddle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 01:05 PM

I couldn't use the heatsink that came with the processor because it wouldn't fit on the motherboard. I had to buy one from my local Radioshack. The one I bought can be found here:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...rentPage=search

Could it be the thermal compound? I gotta say, putting the thermal compound and the heatsink on the processor was the hardest part of making the computer for me.

The reason I had to buy a new heatsink was because the pipes on the one that came with the processor were blocking it from registering correctly. You can see my frustration in this thread:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/247285-3...-questions-help

I've always worried about the temperature.

#8 Chuck_Knull

Chuck_Knull

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 29 May 2008 - 04:27 PM

Hey Matt! I've built more than a dozen systems over the years and have found that getting the layer of Thermal Grease on the CPU just right is very important. It should completely cover the CPU but be as thin

as possible. I've seen a CPU I installed run 10 degrees C cooler after I had to reinstall it. It can be really hard for me to get the grease spread right because of tremors in my hands from 25 years of

Parkinson's Disease. So keep trying. Another tip, use the edge of a credit card as a spreader. Although I admit the magnetic strip embedded in the card always worried me. But I was always careful not to touch

anything with it and so far haven't ruined any CPU's
It's not paranoia if they really are out to get you.

ASUS P5K SE, Core2duo E8500, 4 Gb 800Mhz DDR2, Seagate 1 Tb SATA, Hitachi 1 Tb SATA, LG BDDVDRW 6x Blu-Ray ATI All-in-Wonder HD, 24 inch SOYO wide format LCD Monitor, X-Fi Platinum, Logitech Z-5500 Speaker System

#9 MattRiddle

MattRiddle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 05:00 PM

Thanks for the reply!

I've been monitoring the temp (the core CPU one) and today, while editting video in Premiere (rendering a file) and reading a comic book (cbr file), my computer just shut down. I loaded it back up, and started up the hmonitor program and the core was 63 C. Could my computer have overheated and shut down because of it? It makes me wonder why it's never done it before even when I've been playing games or using Premiere. Maybe because it's the summer and it's the hottest time of the year?

Right now, I have just surfing the web, and have the case open, with a smaller fan outside of the case blowing in cool air and a bigger fan a few feet away blowing in cooler air and have been able to get the core down to 49 C.

Could my problem be the thermal paste? Could it be the heatsink just being a lousy radioshack one?

#10 Chuck_Knull

Chuck_Knull

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 05:28 PM

Yeah, those could both be problems. Trying to get the thermal grease spread right is the lower cost solution.

ASUS P5K SE, Core2duo E8500, 4 Gb 800Mhz DDR2, Seagate 1 Tb SATA, Hitachi 1 Tb SATA, LG BDDVDRW 6x Blu-Ray ATI All-in-Wonder HD, 24 inch SOYO wide format LCD Monitor, X-Fi Platinum, Logitech Z-5500 Speaker System

#11 MattRiddle

MattRiddle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 06:33 PM

I went to radioshack (see a pattern :thumbsup:) a second ago and bought me a nifty PCI Slot Exhaust Heat Fan in hopes that it would help suck out more hot air.

I also checked out the 80mm fans they had, and none of them were the right size to fit the holes on the side of my case screen. Original, the case screen came with a funnel of some kind that would go right over the heatsink, in hopes (I guess) to give the hot air a path through the funnel out of the case. I took it off because I didn't want it to bump into anything on accident.

Was that a bad idea? I wanted to replace the funnel with a fan that was blowing in cool air from outside, but none of the fans at radioshack seem to be the right size. 80mm is too big for the holes.

Where else can I put a fan to blow in cool air? I sometimes see pictures of fans in the front of the case blowing in cool air, but I don't have any holes in the front of my case for a fan to go into. (here is the case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...82E16811147001). You can see (in one of the pictures of the left side of the case on newegg the funnel and holes.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

#12 Chuck_Knull

Chuck_Knull

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 07:02 PM

Well, That wasn't the best idea. That case was engineered for the best air flow with all the duct work installed correctly. But it's possible it wouldn't fit with the new heatsink and fan. However if the duct does fit I

would recommend using it. You are trying to get the CPU down to the lowest temp. possible but absolutely it needs to be kept below the safety cut off temp, when under a heavy load, which is probably 65C.

#13 MattRiddle

MattRiddle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 07:10 PM

I recently installed the exhaust fan. While I was doing that, I noticed that a lot of the fans inside the computer had gotten a little dusty, so I cleaned those up decently (would need to take a compressed air bottle to them for best results). Also, I ripped off the front of my case (don't worry, it snaps off) and found 2 places to put 80mm fans (me thinks 80mm, slightly bigger than holes on case side) and am going to try putting 1 or 2 on the front. I don't understand how those fans are going to suck in air since there is a thing of plastic in front of them (with no holes) but I will try none the less.

I am also going to put that funnel back on there and see if it improves anything.

#14 MattRiddle

MattRiddle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 08:32 PM

Did a test run with me playing a game again and it (core) was at 62 C again. Why does it get so hot? Eh, I might have to redo the bonding gel thing...

#15 mckooter

mckooter

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 10:51 PM

yes, and spring for the good stuff:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835100007

its $5.99USD... and trust me its worth it

make sure when you apply the grease you simply put a small dab on the cpu and spread it with an old business card or something to get an even coat, its really more key than most people realize

Edited by mckooter, 29 May 2008 - 10:54 PM.

You can just call me Chris

I found out I was Marilyn Monroe in a previous life

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users