Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Temporary File,scandisk/checkdisk,diskcleanup,defrag!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Arrow92

Arrow92

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 28 May 2008 - 11:05 PM

Hey people!

Ok well the last time i posted something, it was cause i had a virus. Now that thats cleared, i wanna make my com faster and was told of a couple of ways to do it(as in the title). But im a bit confused on over how to go about it.

a)How do i run them?
b)which one do i run first,second,third,fourth?
c)around how long will each one take?
d)What the diff between the four?

Plus, on the topic of temporary files, i read that there are two types namely, temporary files, and temporary internet files. So whats the diff between them and how to i clear both? Also im using Firefox(i thought i should just mention that cause of the temporary internet files thing)

Thank You!

"I am always ready to learn, although i do not always like being taught" - Winston Churchill

Who ever said that paper beats rock is a moron.Next time i see some one i am going to throw a rock at them while they hold up a piece of paper for a shield. - Anonymous

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bernie K.

Bernie K.

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 29 May 2008 - 10:16 AM

1) An easy to claen up all your temp & junk files is to download, install, and run CCleaner (previously known as Crap Cleaner). Down load from HERE

When you execute CCleaner check the boxes in the WINDOW tab of the files that you want to clean up, e.g., Temperory Internet Files, Temperory files, etc.

A simple explanation of Temperory Internet Files - these are created by your web browser every time you access a web site; temporary files, under trhe system tab are created by windows & user applications to keep track of specific tasks while you are running the app.

2) After running CCleaner, double click My Computer,
A - right click on the disk that you want to perform maint on.
B - Click PROPERTIES, Click DISK CLEAN Up
C - repeat a,& b
D - Select the TOOLS tab, and click the check-now button in the error checking box
E - when completed click the DEFRAG Now Button.

Edited by Bernie K., 29 May 2008 - 10:17 AM.

Freedom is not FREE
Semper Fi

#3 Arrow92

Arrow92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 01 June 2008 - 09:00 AM

Yeah but is tere a way to do it with out installing third party apps? Cause u see i have a few doubts in mind.

These are just a few things about it:
a)Will it slow down boot up time?
b)Wont third party apps eat up ur comps ram and memory(or whatever that apps take up, im not sure...Im a bit PC illiterate :D)

Yeah so just wondering, cause the main reason i want to delete these files is to make my com faster so its sounds a bit contradicting, so a clarification will be great!

Thanks!

"I am always ready to learn, although i do not always like being taught" - Winston Churchill

Who ever said that paper beats rock is a moron.Next time i see some one i am going to throw a rock at them while they hold up a piece of paper for a shield. - Anonymous

#4 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 01 June 2008 - 09:32 AM

Hey people!

Ok well the last time i posted something, it was cause i had a virus. Now that thats cleared, i wanna make my com faster and was told of a couple of ways to do it(as in the title). But im a bit confused on over how to go about it.

a)How do i run them?
b)which one do i run first,second,third,fourth?
c)around how long will each one take?
d)What the diff between the four?

Plus, on the topic of temporary files, i read that there are two types namely, temporary files, and temporary internet files. So whats the diff between them and how to i clear both? Also im using Firefox(i thought i should just mention that cause of the temporary internet files thing)

Thank You!

I'm going to redirect you back to your original post through this link. It is closed for additional comments but you will be able to read through all of the comments that answer all of the questions that you have asked and then some.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry824516

Edited by douglas martin, 01 June 2008 - 09:40 AM.

Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#5 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 01 June 2008 - 09:44 AM

Yeah but is tere a way to do it with out installing third party apps? Cause u see i have a few doubts in mind.

These are just a few things about it:
a)Will it slow down boot up time?
b)Wont third party apps eat up ur comps ram and memory(or whatever that apps take up, im not sure...Im a bit PC illiterate :D)

Yeah so just wondering, cause the main reason i want to delete these files is to make my com faster so its sounds a bit contradicting, so a clarification will be great!

Thanks!

In my opinion CCleaner is not a tool for an inexperienced user to even be contemplating. Improper use of it or any high powered registry cleaner could possibly do irrepairable damage to your computer. Use of the tools already installed on your computer will do an adequate job.
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#6 Bernie K.

Bernie K.

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2008 - 02:03 PM

In my opinion CCleaner is not a tool for an inexperienced user to even be contemplating. Improper use of it or any high powered cleaner could possibly do irrepairable damage to your computer. Use of the tools already installed on your computer will do an adequate job.

When you execute CCleaner check the boxes in the WINDOW tab of the files that you want to clean up, e.g., Temperory Internet Files, Temperory files, etc.

Sorry :thumbsup: but I do not recall mentioning anything about cleaning the registry. If running CCleaner is too technical then perhaps you should be hiring someone to perform the required maintenance.
Freedom is not FREE
Semper Fi

#7 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2008 - 02:10 PM

Hi,
Although you did not mention anything about cleaning the registry, there is a function that lets you clean the registry although you never told them too the person still can do it and usually registry cleaners does more harm than good. Then you end up with people complaning about their computer this and that..
Arrow92 I would follow these steps here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44690/slow-computer/
It may help you, if there is any steps you don't know or need help please ask.

With Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2008 - 05:56 PM

CCleaner is a safe tool ONLY if you only use the default settings and you only use the cleaner function. Using anything else is dangerous and isn't recommended here at Bleeping Computer.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users