Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Led Wires

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kmp50

kmp50

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 28 May 2008 - 09:19 PM

:thumbsup: I was cleaning an extra machine we have and taking out some of the memory to use in another computer. I noticed after I finished taking out one of the memory strips that I had knocked off the LED wires. I plugged them back in and nothing happened. I tried various and assorted variations, but can't seem to hit the right one. Does anyone know a source to find out how these connect correctly? Thanks. I'm one of those who should learn to take a picture of original wiring before I start messing around....
Kathy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 29 May 2008 - 10:10 AM

Are you referring to the panel connectors from the case to the motherboard?

If so, then the motherboard manual should reflect the proper connections.

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 29 May 2008 - 12:10 PM

If you look very carefully at the header where the LEDs plug in they may be labeled, this will be very small printing and may require a magnifying glass to read it. The LEDs have a positive and negative side to them, so they have to be installed properly to work.

If this is a manufactured computer like a Dell or HP the user manual will not list the header pin out. If you down load SIW, which is free, it will tell you what the motherboard is. If you post the make, model, and version of the motherboard we should be able to find that information for you.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 12:29 PM

If you are sure you're plugging it into the correct spot and it still doesn't work, switch the wire position. LED's are diodes and electricity only flows one way
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 kmp50

kmp50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2008 - 05:53 PM

Well, finally getting back here.... Sigh. The mother board is Intel Desktop board D865GVHZ and E 210882 The LED wires are on the left side. One is green and reads POWER LED; one is black and reads POWER SW; the last is red and reads H.D.D. LED.
The area from which they come in the front says FRONT PANEL,; the left bottom says F PUSB and right in the corner is a set of pins which says INTRUDER by it.
Does this make any sense or have I just got a case for the cat to climb on? :thumbsup:

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2008 - 09:11 PM

If you look real close there should be labels silk-screened on the motherboard saying which pin is which
Here is the manual (pdf) for your motherboard. The front panel header is on pages 33 and 34
http://www.intel.com/support/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users