Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Port Forwarding On 2 Routers (weird Problem!)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ameeqasrar

ameeqasrar

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 28 May 2008 - 07:48 PM

Hi, my first post here, and this query that I'm posting isn't simple. The support staff at my DSL provider's help center didn't know what to do about it.

A little history ... :
So I have this 2MB DSL line, and I'm an avid downloader, to say the least! I use torrents a lot, and my torrent client of choice is μTorrent, and for my downloads to go at full speed, it goes without saying that I need my port to be forwarded properly. That was never a problem, because I always used the modem directly connected to my computer. But a couple of months ago, I bought a wireless router (Linksys WRT54G) for my home, and ever since, things have been ... confused.
The easiest solution to forward ports on the two router setup was to not use the internet port on the wireless router, and plug my modem into one of the 4 switch ports on it instead. That way, the router is, for lack of better words, by-passed, and the port forwarding works fine. But using this setup, there is another problem that comes up. Whenever I try to connect a wireless device (laptop), I need to manually configure the IPs on the laptop. If I let the DHCP assign IPs, the network connects, but the internet doesn't work.
So the next solution I had was visit www.portforward.com (great resource, btw), and follow their instructions on forwarding ports on a 2-router setup. Although pretty confusing, for me at least, I finally managed to get that setup to work, and my ports were opened successfully through both routers, using DHCP to assign the IPs. Of course, the IP on my computer (the one I use for downloading) had to be static for the port forwarding to work, so I assigned an IP from the wireless routers DHCP range to it (192.168.0.110).

Now, the problem ... :
Everything here works fine then, except one problem ... Somehow, my wireless router seems to keep "releasing" it's IP. I can't figure out why! I'm using the following IPs on my network:

ADSL modem
IP: 192.168.1.1
DHCP info
Starting address: 192.168.1.1
End IP address: 192.168.1.254
Lease Time: 1 day

Wireless Router
IP: 192.168.0.1
DHCP info
Starting address: 192.168.0.100
Max DHCP users: 50

My Desktop Computer (Connected to the wireless router with a wire - not wireless)
IP: 192.168.0.110 [I use this IP (manually configured, for Port Forwarding) so that it stays within the DHCP range, and doesn't conflict with other devices that try to connect through wireless]
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

What happens is, after some time, when I try to access the control panels of either devices from by browser (Firefox 3.0-RC1), neither of the IPs work. Rebooting the Linksys router fixes the problem, but after a while, it starts doing the same thing again. And while the control panel can't be accessed, my Port Forwarding also seems to get clogged up. When I reboot the wireless router, the Port Forwarding starts working again as well.

I've noticed a trend in all of this, a sort of "method to the madness". What happens is, when I turn on the setup for the first time, everything works smoothly. But when I run μTorrent once, and the little green circle tells me that everything's working fine, that's when the problems start! When I try to access the control panels after that, they don't respond. And, if I restart μTorrent after that, the Port Forwarding stops working as well, so were' back to square one. Another important thing to note here is that while my router control stops responding, other wireless devices also fail to connect to it, and the internet does not work on those other devices. However, it continues to work on my computer, whether I reboot the router or not.

Hopefully, now you see the whole circle that my problem runs in. I hope this is enough (if not too much) data for a diagnosis of this odd problem. I'm also attaching a few screen shots to help you understand the situation.

Home Network Schema
Posted Image

IP settings on the computer
Posted Image

Wireless Router - DHCP Server settings
Posted Image

Modem - DHCP Server Settings
Posted Image

Current Status of the Router
Posted Image

Port Forwarding on the Modem
Posted Image

Port Forwarding on the Router
Posted Image

Please, I need help with this. Any help sort this out would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kintanon

Kintanon

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 02 June 2008 - 12:30 PM

Wow, excellent amount of data provided.
One possible solution for you would be to enable IP Passthrough on your DSL modem and point it at the Router. That would forward all traffic to the router without the modem getting in the way. That may resolve the issue with the cascaded port forwarding.

#3 Johnny Storm

Johnny Storm

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 10 September 2008 - 10:02 PM

I am new to the forums. I have been doing a lot of looking around on the internet for port forwarding. I have used portforward.com. I even talked to the support techs for linksys. I still have problems with it, my internet/messengers are all fine until I start downloading via BitTorrent. Then my internet and messengers start disconnecting at constant rates. Is there any reason as to why this is happening? If I need to show pictures let me know.

#4 The G Bomb

The G Bomb

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:07 AM

One thing that jumps out at me is the fact that you have 2 devices serving DHCP. When your wireless devices connect they will get a 192.168.0.x address and anything hardwired will get 192.168.1.x, if your modem is expecting 192.168.1.x connections it will not pass the 192.168.0.x addresses as it is a different subnet and essentially a separate network unless your modem is configured properly to accept both the subnets.

If you can, switch off DHCP on the wireless router and change its ip address to be in the 192.168.1.x range (set it to 192.168.1.254 for example), then both networks will probably get on a lot better. Also it probably isn't necessary but you may want to limit the range of available ip addresses in the dhcp settings to exclude those that are fixed. i.e. make the range 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.253 if you use 254 as suggested.

edit
Just realised, that would also mean that you would have to change the manually input ip address of your computers and the port forwarding settings, so you may like to change things about a bit and make the modems LAN ip address 192.168.0.1, which might also help. The other alternative is to play around with the Subnet mask. Not 100% on this part but changing it to 255.255.0.0, may open up both 192.168.0.x and 192.168.1.x ranges for you to use.

Edited by The G Bomb, 16 September 2008 - 09:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users