Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox Hangs/stalls

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 starwarsgeek

starwarsgeek

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 28 May 2008 - 07:36 PM

Anybody have any ideas why my firefox sometimes stalls? Like it has a little hiccup... while I was typing this, it stopped displaying the text I was typing, but I kept typing, and then after 10 - 12 seconds it displayed all the characters I had typed out. This happens to me constantly. I un-installed all the add-ons that I had installed, but it didn't fix anything. Anybody else have this problem, or a possible solution? Should I try un-installing firefox and re-installing it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 29 May 2008 - 07:09 AM

Hello,

It could be a system problem, application hanging, or lagging. What are the specifications of the system in question?
Processor,Ram, hard drive space etc.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 starwarsgeek

starwarsgeek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:06 AM

Thanks for your reply :thumbsup:

It only seems to happen with Firefox, not when I'm using IE... but I prefer Firefox. It's horrible... like watching a movie and someone keeps pausing every 30 seconds.... anyway....

My pc is a Dell.

4GHz processor.
4 GB Ram.
HD is 500GB, about 100GB is free space right now (needs to be defragged tho).

Anything else you need to know?

I've run virus scans using AVG and malware/spyware scans using AdAware and SUPER AntiSpyWare.... everything clean. However, when I try to run an onlilne scan using the Trend Micro website, it works for a minute and then shuts down my browser... don't know if that has anything to do with anything.

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 12:44 PM

The system is certainly capable of performing such tasks. However you mention movies pausing every 30 seconds. This sounds like a streaming problem, in order to view multimedia it needs to be sent to your system which takes time. If you have a slow connection this could be the fault.

How fast is your internet connection from your ISP?
Regards,

Alan.

#5 starwarsgeek

starwarsgeek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 03:03 PM

Oh no, no... I was just saying that internet browsing with Firefox is like trying to watch a movie that someone keep pausing every 30 seconds. Every few seconds my Firefox freezes for a few seconds and then gets going again. Sorry for the confusion. But FWIW I have cable internet and get very good speeds. I'm not sure if that is affecting Firefox at all.

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 05:18 PM

Ah ok, sorry about the mix up. Does the problem happen in any other application for example word,notepad etc?
Regards,

Alan.

#7 starwarsgeek

starwarsgeek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 06:08 PM

No, it only seems to hang as far as I can tell while I'm browsing with Firefox. I haven't noticed it happening with IE, but I don't use IE all that often. And I don't notice it when I'm using any other programs.

#8 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2008 - 08:24 AM

Have you tried altering the priority of firefox.exe? Open task manager click the processes tab and select firefox.exe. right click it and select priority above normal or high.

What is the version number of firefox?
Regards,

Alan.

#9 starwarsgeek

starwarsgeek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2008 - 08:48 AM

I just adjusted the priority of Firefox, I'll see if that makes any difference. The Firefox I'm using is version 2.0.0.14 which I believe is the newest version available. While I was just typing this, it stalled a few times but the stalling is a little more minor than it was, lasting 2 - 3 seconds instead of 10 - 12.

#10 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:25 PM

In the start menu in the firefox folder, there are two versions of firefox, the safe mode and normal mode. Try starting firefox in its safe mode option. does this make any difference?

Also, what addons/pluggins do you have installed?
Regards,

Alan.

#11 eLenka

eLenka

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 30 May 2008 - 03:24 PM

Oh, I have the same problem. Luckily, my FF stalls not so often and not for so long. I've noticed that it happens when I have two opened windows of FF (for example, main window + editor window in blogs, etc.). Starwarsgeek, have you noticed such a regularity with two windows?
My only solution for this problem is just to wait a few seconds. It's better than deleting all incorrect symbols. But, yeah, that's so annoying... :thumbsup::flowers:

#12 starwarsgeek

starwarsgeek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2008 - 02:51 PM

I have all my addons/plugins uninstalled at this time, as I thought that one of them may have been the problem. I've tried the safe mode, but it doesn't make a difference that I can see. It also seems to be getting worse, and it's at the point where Firefox stops responding for up to a minute at a time recently...

#13 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2008 - 03:03 PM

There are many tweaks that may be able to help try using firetune found at http://www.totalidea.com/content/firetune/...tune-index.html

You may want to upgrade firefox, I'm using 3.0 http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-rc.html Haven't had any problems at all.
Regards,

Alan.

#14 starwarsgeek

starwarsgeek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2008 - 08:32 PM

At this time, I can't upgrade because some of the add-ons that I need (like FireFTP) are not available yet for 3.0 - but I'm getting to the point of frustration with Firefox that I'm about to stop using it all together. Take this message here... I just typed this out, and it took me - without exaggerating - over 3 minutes because of the hangs and stalls. I can't use a program that acts like this.

Anybody else have any ideas?

#15 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2008 - 06:34 AM

Have you updated windows, There could be a bottleneck somewhere causing problems.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users