Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Download Day 2008

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,615 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 28 May 2008 - 07:24 PM

http://www.spreadfirefox.com/en-US/worldrecord
COPIED FROM LINK ABOVE:
Set a Guinness World Record
Enjoy a Better Web
Sounds like a good deal, right? All you have to do is get Firefox 3 during Download Day to help set the record for most software downloads in 24 hours - itís that easy. We're not asking you to swallow a sword or to balance 30 spoons on your face, although that would be kind of awesome.

By the way, the official date for the launch of Firefox 3 will be posted here soon - so check back! Join our community and this effort by pledging today.

I pledge to get Firefox 3 during Download Day to set the Guinness World Record for Most Software Downloaded in 24 Hours.

People who've pledged................(lists numbers of pledges by country)

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 28 May 2008 - 07:45 PM

Hey, why not?

I'd download it anyway.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 28 May 2008 - 08:11 PM

lol @:

We're not asking you to swallow a sword or to balance 30 spoons on your face, although that would be kind of awesome.

Sounds like an interesting idea! Hopefully, many people will discover Firefox in the process!

Like John, I would download it anyway, but perhaps I should do it on 'The Download Day' to add to the record.

I guess you need to subscribe (at the site) in order to be informed of the planned date...

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 29 May 2008 - 09:46 AM

I think many Firefox users are just counting the days to the public release of 3.0.
We will all keep an eye out for the release date and swamp Mozilla's servers!
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 skyfuser

skyfuser

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 31 May 2008 - 11:51 PM

What is the record lol.
Anyways I joined and I'm screaming at my friends about it. Already thinking RC1 is full of win, I'm ecstatic!
-Looks for a party-
"If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way." - Bertrand Russell

#6 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 12,615 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2008 - 11:05 AM

http://www.spreadfirefox.com/en-US/worldrecord/faq
Do we have to reach a specific number of downloads in order to set the record?

This is the first record attempt of its kind so there is no set number. We'd really like to outdo the number of Firefox 2 downloads on its launch day, which was 1.6 million. Let's shoot for 5 million--the sky is the limit!

Download Day is our attempt to set a world record for the most software downloads in 24 hours and will occur on Firefox 3 launch day.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 12,615 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2008 - 03:27 PM

QUOTE LINK ABOVE: "The official date for the launch of Firefox 3 is June 17, 2008. Join our community and this effort by pledging today."

Total Pledges:

#8 Mariana_X

Mariana_X

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 12 June 2008 - 05:34 PM

Ohh cool!! I think I'd like to pledge too.. although Im terrible at dates I'll proably forget about it if not reminded :thumbsup: I guess I'll sign up for it.. was going to get it anyways ;)

Which reminds me... I really really hope they specified the exact date in every country as June 17th over here wouldn't be the same in Europe or Asia... so how are they going to deal with that??? Because then it would be on multiple days unless they start counting 24 hours from a certain time and then forth till 24 hours but it wouldnt be fair for the rest of the countries where people are still sleeping when record thingy began??

Im confuzzled!!! @.@

#9 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 12 June 2008 - 06:05 PM

I'll set myself a reminder, but I can't begin to imagine how many servers/bandwidth would be required for the attempt.
Mariana_X I never thought of that.
Regards,

Alan.

#10 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 13 June 2008 - 08:35 AM

Since the map of people signing up (and I think those who do will get a E-mail reminder) is world-wide, I am sure that the "day" is 24 hours.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#11 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 16 June 2008 - 07:03 PM

Is there a specific link to download from? http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/products/firefox/ still says version 2 at this time.
Regards,

Alan.

#12 dark messenger

dark messenger

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 16 June 2008 - 10:25 PM

For me its download day, and I cant download :thumbsup:

#13 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 17 June 2008 - 01:49 AM

This is where they "most prefer" we download from :flowers:

I already pledged :thumbsup:

#14 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 12,615 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2008 - 06:02 AM

Download Day starts on June 17th at 10 a.m. PDT. Check this out for local times: http://tinyurl.com/4e7fv5

#15 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 17 June 2008 - 06:44 AM

I have to wait until tomorrow :thumbsup:

Firefox 3 will be worth the download too - I did BETA test it in the very early stages as soon as it was actually ready for BETA testing but they probably added some more features by now :flowers:

Edited by david28, 17 June 2008 - 06:45 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users