Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Laptop Hard Drive Failed

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 swan hunter

swan hunter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 28 May 2008 - 06:37 PM

My Dell laptop won't boot up. I pulled the hard drive and put it in a HD case and can access it through my desk top but, I can't get my documents to display...Is there free software that will fix this problem so I can recover any non damaged files?

Thanks

Edited by swan hunter, 28 May 2008 - 06:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 28 May 2008 - 06:48 PM

Hello,

When you say that the documents wont display, could you give some more information on this area?
Regards,

Alan.

#3 syunichi

syunichi

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 07:22 PM

You might need to do a disk scan before accessing it to repair some damage parts or problems on your external hdd. Might be a bad sector problem preventing from access. Just a thought :thumbsup:
Posted Image

Tech Support: "Do you have any windows open right now?"
Customer: "Are you crazy woman, it's twenty below outside..."

#4 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 07:32 PM

IMHO, If you have removed this drive and put it in an enclosure and are trying to access files while plugged into another computer and it won't allow you to, I think that you are SOOL... I have heard of a few people using Linux Live CD's to attempt file recovery and it may work but I am not up on the procedures involved.
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 28 May 2008 - 07:59 PM

It depends on the exact error message you're getting. If it's an "Access denied" message, try taking ownership of the files: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/42756/how-to-fix-an-access-denied-errors/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 swan hunter

swan hunter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 09:30 PM

Allot of the files on the HD show up but nothing as far as "my documents" which holds my spreadsheets, pictures etc. I am hoping the files are still intact and just the address needs rebuilt...(not sure about the terminology)

#7 swan hunter

swan hunter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 09:32 PM

A friend suggested checking out this program: http://www.runtime.org/index.html
But, it is a bit pricey if there is a shareware equivelent...

#8 syunichi

syunichi

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 09:55 PM

Is it. Hmm...do you go to the right path? I mean from C: > Document and Settings > Account Name > Account's Name Document. Just a thought :thumbsup: . I remember my first time in XP and migrating data with 98 OS and XP OS, I was wondering where did the C:\mydocuments go >.<
Posted Image

#9 swan hunter

swan hunter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 10:12 PM

Yes, I am sure I navigated OK plus, I had a "knowledgeable" computer guy look for the files also...He is the one that suggested the recovery software...I was just checking to see if there might be a cheaper solution.

thanks

#10 MentallyNormal

MentallyNormal

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 28 May 2008 - 10:23 PM

What about all the other files on the harddrive,can you see those?
That is pretty strange that your my docs just disappear,yet everything else would remain. It can happen though.
Did the drive freeze your system up during access of it? It's possible it has bad sectors on it. You mighr have to repair the sectors before attempt a software data recovery.
Have you run a chkdsk?
Did you do a search on the drive for just documents,excel spreadsheets?

That program you are referring to is a really great application. I've used it before,works great.

Edited by MentallyNormal, 28 May 2008 - 10:25 PM.

#11 swan hunter

swan hunter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 10:29 PM

Haven't run chkdsk.
yes, can see other files...Not sure if we can see ALL the other files but bunches.
Computer just wouldn't boot up one morning...Couldn't get it to boot in safe mode either.

#12 syunichi

syunichi

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 10:30 PM

If that's the case, just make sure your IT support did not do a repair installation because it will wipe of your document and windows content, but leaving your other files still inside the partition . Some reinstallation doesn't need to do a format. Just a thought :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#13 swan hunter

swan hunter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 10:40 PM

IT support? wazz at?

#14 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 29 May 2008 - 12:31 AM

Try this freeware recovery software: PC INSPECTOR
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#15 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 07:54 AM

I would give the PC Inspecter software a try.

There are numerous other varieties of software out there ranging in price...Just do a Google Search for Data Recovery Software...Most, if not all of them, make an "image" of the failed drive. You still may not be able to retrieve everything though...I think that it depends mostly on whether or not the files are severly fragmented as to whether they can be recovered successfully...from what I have read...

There are also Recovery Services that will do this for you but they can be expensive. At any case, it is always a good choice to back up important data and files from time to time for times like these...Not many do it...So don't feel alone...
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users