Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Frustrated With Tcp/ip

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest Eh?

Guest Eh?

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 28 May 2008 - 06:23 PM

I recently reformatted my pc, installing a new xp home onto it. When I tried to hook it up to my modem via lan cable, it wouldn't connect to the internet, though it would see the connection. After alot of worthless work, I called my ISP. They told me to configure my ip manually as well as a DNS server. Even after doing so, it still wouldn't connect, so it had to be a problem with my computer. After alot more work, I discovered that I had a problem with my TCP/IP. I tried running quick-connect software that came with my modem and it told me that my TCP/IP is not installed correctly.. Sooo I went on the internet on my laptop found as many fixes as possible and stuck em on a flash drive and tried em all.. No success. I also tried re-installing SP2 hoping it would fix mswsock.dll [I THINK that's what it was called] with no success.

I followed all the steps on microsoft support (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B299357).. I tried the guided help first, and it said that no changes were required, and when I tried to manually enter the commands in command prompt it gave me either the error "The system cannot find the path specified." or " 'system\currentcontrolset\services\tcpip\parameters\' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

I'm becoming very frustrated with this and I have no idea why command prompt isn't working the way the microsoft website says it should!!

Edited by Guest Eh?, 28 May 2008 - 07:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 28 May 2008 - 07:47 PM

Did you install all of your drivers after installing XP? To check, go to Start...Run...and type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter. If you see red X's or yellow !'s then it's likely that the drivers aren't installed.

Visit the support site of the manufacturer of your PC (or the support site of the motherboard manufacturer if it's a custom build) to download the missing drivers.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 syunichi

syunichi

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 28 May 2008 - 07:54 PM

Or even if you want to, get another LAN card to plug in at the extra PCI slot and try to get it running. You might be having a problem with the old LAN card. I had it before, even when it shows connection, I cant get the repair option to run and it connects to nowhere..worst from all it is an integrated LAN card. I plug in a new one and walla, it runs and I'm online again. Just a thought. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

Tech Support: "Do you have any windows open right now?"
Customer: "Are you crazy woman, it's twenty below outside..."

#4 Guest Eh?

Guest Eh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 08:04 PM

@usama
The only thing noticable in the device manager are yellow question marks with black (!) on them in the other devices section. These little question marks are on Ethernet Controller, Multimedia Audio Controller, PCI Simple Communications Controller, SM Bus controller, and Video Controller (VGA COMPATIBLE). It does note that the drivers for all of these things are yet to be installed..

@syunichi
Could you possibly give me a link to what type of lan card I should be looking for? I've got no idea what I should be searching for. Oh, and do you think they would sell them at wal-mart? :thumbsup:

edit:Oh and I thought I should note that I tried the XP TCP/IP Repair 1 program found here with no success
(http://www.download.com/XP-TCP-IP-Repair/3000-2094_4-10410929.html?cdlPid=10410930)

another edit: when I try to repair the connection to the network it says "Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed: Failed to query TCP\IP settings of the connection. Cannot Proceed."

Edited by Guest Eh?, 28 May 2008 - 08:11 PM.

#5 syunichi

syunichi

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 08:18 PM

Quoted :

The only thing noticable in the device manager are yellow question marks with black (!) on them in the other devices section. These little question marks are on Ethernet Controller, Multimedia Audio Controller, PCI Simple Communications Controller, SM Bus controller, and Video Controller (VGA COMPATIBLE).

Guest, I would like to recommend of getting a proper driver rather than buying for a new one. It is more likely to be a driver issue, because it seems like XP plug and play doesnt have the drivers you're lookin for. Try to first rollback the driver installation (just in case). Might be a glitch but my POV here...it is a driver issue of several hardwares. Just a thought. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#6 Guest Eh?

Guest Eh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 08:25 PM

@syunichi
Could ya please instruct me on how to rollback the drivers? I'd like to just download new ones, but I'm not sure what I should be looking for.

#7 syunichi

syunichi

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 09:49 PM

Hmm...to rollback, you would just go to where you find the "?" yellow markings on the hardware on device management.
START>RUN> type devmgmt.msc.

Right click on the hardware and click on properties. Then when a new window opens decribing the hardware, pick the drivers tab and on the bottom option button you will find a "roll back" button. But again, you might need the proper driver as been describe that you are having a lot of incompatible drivers on you Ethernet Card(LAN Card) and etc. Resolve that and you will get better performance for your workstation.

If possible, open the cassing, find the name of the motherboard and get information on the official manufacturer site.Good luck. Just a thought. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#8 Guest Eh?

Guest Eh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 09:53 PM

@syunichi
I'm going to give it all a try now. Thanks! :thumbsup:

#9 Guest Eh?

Guest Eh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 10:06 PM

@syunichi
Gahh, well I found the rollback driver button, but when I click it, it says there were no backup drivers. All the items on the problem list are internal and came with the computer, so I don't have any installation disks.. I'm going to try to find the drivers for it online hopefully I'll come up with something

#10 syunichi

syunichi

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 10:34 PM

Great, try to locate the model of the motherboard printed on the motherboard. It should be something like a code .KNMP2 or something, you'll see a name like Gigabyte, ASUS or something indicating who is the manufacturer of the board. Just a thought :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#11 Guest Eh?

Guest Eh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 11:26 PM

@syunichi
I found the motherboard drivers on gateways's website and installed them, and device manager says everything is still uninstalled... :thumbsup: do you think it's a problem with my motherboard?

Edited by Guest Eh?, 28 May 2008 - 11:31 PM.

#12 syunichi

syunichi

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 01:43 AM

You do mean including the Ethernet card drivers and XP drivers version is it? Might it be the driver version or type is not compatible? Didn't the supplier given you a proper driver cd when you bought the pc? :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#13 Guest Eh?

Guest Eh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 01:51 AM

@syunichi
Well all of the listed issues listed in device manager are internal on the motherboard. I found the drivers on gateway's website and installed them (motherboard drivers came in one package), it said they were installed successfully and that I needed to restart my computer. Did so, checked device manager, still says the drivers are missing. I tried checking the motherboard's website, and they didn't have my model listed ANYWHERE so I'm unable to install the drivers seperately.. I'm really confused as to why they arn't installing. If it helps, I'm using a Gateway GT5056 and my motherboard is a Foxconn C51GU01.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,568 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 10:00 AM

You need to download...all drivers listed for your particular model of PC...from the manufacturer's website. All of them.

Then, install them one by one, checking Device Manager each time to see if problem devices are eliminated by each install.

When there are no more problem devices reflected in Device Manager, you will have all drivers for the system installed.

Louis

Update Those Drivers - http://www.cyberwalker.net/columns/aug00/310800.html

Edited by hamluis, 29 May 2008 - 10:03 AM.

#15 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:40 AM

The Ethernet Controller is your connection to the internet - if the drivers aren't installed for that, you'll never get on the internet.

When you downloaded the motherboard/chipset drivers there should have been other drivers available on that page also - those are the one's that you need.

FYI these are the drivers that you need:
Ethernet Controller - for your internet connection
Multimedia Audio Controller - for your sound
PCI Simple Communications Controller - unsure, but most likely for your telephone modem (you may not need this)
SM Bus controller - Most likely this is for a media card reader
Video Controller (VGA COMPATIBLE) - for your video display

To find them, go to this page and enter your serial number: http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/dlcenter.asp
It may ask you for your Operating System (Windows XP Home, Pro, etc) and then it'll take you to a page with all the drivers for your model. If you're unsure, give us a link to that page and we'll help out in picking the correct drivers.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users