Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where Did My Free Space Go?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 28 May 2008 - 06:09 PM

in fact when i looked at the pie charts that show how much space i had left, all my drives (A:) (D:) (E:) (F:) had no space left and said there was 0 bytes. My local disk (C:) says i have 31.8 GB free space left or 5.43 GB used. Now i have a balloon popping up telling me that my windows virtual memory minimum is too low. What does that mean? How can i increase it and get back some more space on my other drives? Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 iSIKH

iSIKH

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 28 May 2008 - 06:23 PM

I beleive virtual memory is a diff kind of memory and also try defragmenting and also go to start run and typre cleanmgr.exe it should rid your computer of temp files and alot of crap also tune up utilities is something you should try it helped me alot

#3 LynnKnows2

LynnKnows2

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 28 May 2008 - 06:26 PM

Hey! I would say you should defragment your drives and also uninstall any old programs that you're not using. Give Revo uninstaller a try- it's free & works really well. Hopefully, that will clear up a little space for you. Once you free up some disk space, then you can increase the amount of virtual memory. Go into the 'Control Panel', System, Advanced Tab, under Performance- click Settings. Click 'Advanced' and you'll see Virtual Memory. You can click 'change' there to increase it. From what I understand, you should make it 1 1/2 times the amount of RAM that you have. So if you have 2 gigs of RAM, you'd want to make the Virtual memory 3 gigs. In the change dialog that would be 3000 for "initial".. Hope that helps ya out! :thumbsup:

#4 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 06:34 PM

1 1/2 time RAM is the minumum amount...3 times RAM is the maximum amount...These of course are recommended amounts...You can probably put any value higher than what you have in the minumum box and it will help you from recieving the "virtual memory is low" alerts...
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#5 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 07:29 PM

I agree with what lynnknows2 said. You can also free some more space by using disk cleanup.
go to Start>run>cleanmgr
It will clean up alot of junk. Also there is another feature that allows you to delete some of the old restore points. It won't remove all restore points. remove all but recent restore points. Remove some programs that you don't use often.

Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#6 syunichi

syunichi

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 07:31 PM

And might run a scandisk to get the system to show an accurate figure on your hdd space. Just a thought. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

Tech Support: "Do you have any windows open right now?"
Customer: "Are you crazy woman, it's twenty below outside..."

#7 snafumaster

snafumaster

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 05:44 AM

If your C drive is showing that much space available, it is likely not the C drive at issue. Presumably, your A drive is a floppy and E and F are optical drives. Is that correct? If so, is your D drive a storage drive or is it a recovery partition? My guess would be yes. If it is, then it is also likely that it should be be that it should register full, or close to it. Follow the aforementioned instructions on getting to the the Virtual Memory settings. However, I would recommend instead selecting the "System Managed" option. There are advantages to setting a static amount, but if you are unaware of how Virtual memory work, you will likely never appreciate the difference.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 10:45 AM

Windows normally allocates virtual memory dynamically - so a "low virtual memory" error isn't likely to be due to a setting (unless you modified it previously). Rather it's likely to be from low disk space or a misbehaving program that isn't releasing the virtual memory when it's done.

Your A: drive is a floppy drive and won't show anything unless there's a floppy in the drive that it recognizes
Your D:, E:, F: drives may be either another partition on your hard drive, or they can refer to your CD/DVD drives
- If it's the CD/DVD drives, it won't show anything unless there's a CD/DVD in the drive that it recognizes
- If it's other partitions on your hard drive it can have different meanings. Some partitions are full by design (recovery partitions mainly), while others may get full by storing too much stuff on them.

To help identify the culprit, open up Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) and click on the Processes tab
Click on the View menu item, then on "Select columns".
In the next window, put a check mark in PID, IO Reads, and Virtual Memory Size - the click OK to accept these choices
Then expand the window by dragging the side out so that you can see all the columns.
Look for the highest Virtual Memory Size and let us know what it says on the far left of that reading. The IO Reads column may also have some high values, so let us know about them also. The PID thing may be needed later on, but isn't pertinent right now.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2008 - 11:30 PM

Windows normally allocates virtual memory dynamically - so a "low virtual memory" error isn't likely to be due to a setting (unless you modified it previously). Rather it's likely to be from low disk space or a misbehaving program that isn't releasing the virtual memory when it's done.

Your A: drive is a floppy drive and won't show anything unless there's a floppy in the drive that it recognizes
Your D:, E:, F: drives may be either another partition on your hard drive, or they can refer to your CD/DVD drives
- If it's the CD/DVD drives, it won't show anything unless there's a CD/DVD in the drive that it recognizes
- If it's other partitions on your hard drive it can have different meanings. Some partitions are full by design (recovery partitions mainly), while others may get full by storing too much stuff on them.

To help identify the culprit, open up Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) and click on the Processes tab
Click on the View menu item, then on "Select columns".
In the next window, put a check mark in PID, IO Reads, and Virtual Memory Size - the click OK to accept these choices
Then expand the window by dragging the side out so that you can see all the columns.
Look for the highest Virtual Memory Size and let us know what it says on the far left of that reading. The IO Reads column may also have some high values, so let us know about them also. The PID thing may be needed later on, but isn't pertinent right now.

I got called away but this evening I had a chance to take another look at this. I’d like to thank everyone for their input! I must say my computer is showing signs of running better. However it still has its issues! But on a brighter note, lucky for me I still have several patches of hair left! Lol.

Here is a snap shot of my high virtual memory winners!

Name / Mem Usage / VM size / I/o Reads
Winword.exe 29,564 11,880 135
Pctssvc.exe 20,636 174,808 52,050 and climbing
Firefox.exe 22,008 40,736 12,241
Pctstray.exe 1,444 20,308 37,996 and climbing
Explorer.exe 17,120 24,264 922
Appsvc32.exe 2,692 6,926 157,388
Svchost.exe 6,176 15,508 75,324 and climbing
Isass.exe 2,040 6,624 19,950 and climbing
Bartshel.exe 3,896 33,528 1,701
Bartshel.exe 3,440 12,648 241 I have 2 bartshel.exe’s

Basically without much running these are my highest. I hope it helps you?

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2008 - 08:29 AM

Four things stand out from the info that you've posted:

1) The Pctssvc.exe service is using a lot of virtual memory. Was PCTools/SpywareDoctor doing a scan at this time? Take another look when it's not doing a scan (if this is the case)

2) The 2 Bartshel.exe processes aren't really misbehaving. But they are a fairly common issue with PeoplePC. If you're not using PeoplePC you can safely uninstall their software to ensure that these don't launch. If you are using PeoplePC, I'd have to suggest contacting their techsupport folks for a more definitive answer.

3) The svchost.exe process is doing a lot of reading of your hard drive - this may be normal or abnormal, but we'll have to deal with it after we've checked out the other stuff.

4) You have an Isass.exe process running. Is it Isass.exe or Lsass.exe? If it's Lsass.exe it's OK - if it's Isass.exe then it's likely that you've got a malware infection.

Edited by usasma, 31 May 2008 - 08:30 AM.
Brain cramp :0)

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2008 - 10:06 AM

Four things stand out from the info that you've posted:

1) The Pctssvc.exe service is using a lot of virtual memory. Was PCTools/SpywareDoctor doing a scan at this time? Take another look when it's not doing a scan (if this is the case)

2) The 2 Bartshel.exe processes aren't really misbehaving. But they are a fairly common issue with PeoplePC. If you're not using PeoplePC you can safely uninstall their software to ensure that these don't launch. If you are using PeoplePC, I'd have to suggest contacting their techsupport folks for a more definitive answer.

3) The svchost.exe process is doing a lot of reading of your hard drive - this may be normal or abnormal, but we'll have to deal with it after we've checked out the other stuff.

4) You have an Isass.exe process running. Is it Isass.exe or Lsass.exe? If it's Lsass.exe it's OK - if it's Isass.exe then it's likely that you've got a malware infection.

Good morning Usasma, I got up this morning and combed my hair patches, I thought i'd see if you were up and wala!
1. i was not running a scan at the time with pctssvc.exe
2. i use peoplepc. what if i uninstall it then reinstall it, would that fix it?
3. i have 5 svchost.exe running all the time.
4. unfortunitly its isass so i guess i have some malware. how can i find out?

#12 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2008 - 11:08 AM

Also,

1. in my temp file i always have these show up, MSOHTML1 and SNMP.EXE! What are they?
2. in my system configuration utility :thumbsup: i uncheck CTFMON.EXE but the next time i restart the computoe its back. What is it and how do i get rid of it if i need to?
3. in my system configuration utility, when i click the win.ini tab theres nothing in it. is this normal?
4. my spyware doctor keeps poping up a box that says my smart update has failed. do you know how to correct that?
:flowers:

#13 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2008 - 11:37 AM

a slow moving thunderstorm is moving thru the area so i have to disconnect from the phone line. i don't loose my modem due to a lightning strick. but i'll be back in an hour or so. see ya!

#14 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2008 - 11:37 AM

Hi buckshotdad1960.
1. You can try deleteing those in safe mode, since its in your temp I don't think that they are needed.
What I have researched, MSOHTML1 isn't something good that you want on your computer.
Take a look here:
http://spywarefiles.prevx.com/RRHDJC436194...OHTML1.EXE.html
snmp.exe is a network process which is part og Microsoft Windows Operating System, so it is important and that you should not terminate it. There is also the other chance that it is bad, but probably its good.
2.CTFMON.EXE is a legitmate program, you shouldn't disable it but you can if you want. but it will keep coming back because Office XP apps as long as the Text Services and Speech applets in the Control Panel are enabled. . The reason why ctfmon.exe keeps coming back is:

CTFMon is involved with the language/alternative input services in Office XP. CTFMON.exe will continue to put itself back into MSConfig when you run the Office XP apps as long as the Text Services and Speech applets in the Control Panel are enabled. Not required if you don't need these features.

Read here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/c...n.exe-1121.html
3. I thnk that is not normal. You can read some information here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310560

System.ini and Win.ini options
The SYSTEM.INI and WIN.INI tabs in the System Configuration utility have the following options:• Check boxes enable you to enable or to disable an option. To enable an option so that it loads at startup, select the check box or select the option, and then click the Select button. To disable an option so that it does not load at startup, clear the check box or select the option, and then click the Disable button.
• Move Up and Move Down buttons enable you to move through the different options when you do not have a mouse.
• The New button enables you to create a new entry in the System.ini or in the Win.ini file. Click the button, and type your entry.
• The Edit button enables you to edit an existing line in the System.ini or in the Win.ini file. Click the button, and edit the line.

4. I am not sure about why spyware doctor is not updating, I don't use spyware doctor so I don't know much about it. If this promblem has been occuring for a long time, then I suggust you reinstall it. If this just happened a few days ago, then i am not sure why...

Regards,
Extremeboy

Edited by extremeboy, 31 May 2008 - 11:41 AM.

Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#15 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2008 - 02:02 PM

Hi buckshotdad1960.
1. You can try deleteing those in safe mode, since its in your temp I don't think that they are needed.
What I have researched, MSOHTML1 isn't something good that you want on your computer.
Take a look here:
http://spywarefiles.prevx.com/RRHDJC436194...OHTML1.EXE.html
snmp.exe is a network process which is part og Microsoft Windows Operating System, so it is important and that you should not terminate it. There is also the other chance that it is bad, but probably its good.

2.CTFMON.EXE is a legitmate program, you shouldn't disable it but you can if you want. but it will keep coming back because Office XP apps as long as the Text Services and Speech applets in the Control Panel are enabled. . The reason why ctfmon.exe keeps coming back is:

CTFMon is involved with the language/alternative input services in Office XP. CTFMON.exe will continue to put itself back into MSConfig when you run the Office XP apps as long as the Text Services and Speech applets in the Contare enabled. Not required if you don't need these features.

Read here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/c...n.exe-1121.html
3. I thnk that is not normal. You can read some information here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310560
The SYSTEM.INI and WIN.INI tabs in the System Configuration utility have the following options:• Check boxes enable you to enable or to disable an option. To enable an option so that it loads at startup, select the check box or select the option, and then click the Select button. To disable an option so that it does not load at startup, clear the check box or select the option, and then click the Disable button.
• Move Up and Move Down buttons enable you to move through the different options when you do not have a mouse.
• The New button enables you to create a new entry in the System.ini or in the Win.ini file. Click the button, and type your entry.
• The Edit button enables you to edit an existing line in the System.ini or in the Win.ini file. Click the button, and edit the line.

4. I am not sure about why spyware doctor is not updating, I don't use spyware doctor so I don't know much about it. If this promblem has been occuring for a long time, then I suggust you reinstall it. If this just happened a few days ago, then i am not sure why...

Regards,
Extremeboy

Fantastic exstreamboy! This has been helpful. i knew that msohtml1 was something bad. in order to remove it with prevex i would have to buy that program, i don't like using my creadit card on line, maybe i'll find another way to get rid of it. the other things i'll leave from now on since their not hurting any thing. i'm going to go and see if i can figure out my msconfig and get back my win.ini! can you tell me what is supposed to be there and i'll just type it in? is there any chance you happen to know what these are or why i get these error messages:
c:\windows\temp\wer516.dir00\firefox.exe mdmp
c:\windows\temp\wer516.dir00\appcompat.txt

thank you,
buckshot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users