Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Hdd: Sec Master Atapi Incompatible

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 marketa.presto

marketa.presto

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 28 May 2008 - 04:27 PM

Good evening,

I'm trying to install a new HDD on my desktop but it won't just work. I'm sure the jumper is in the right place, data cable and the power one seem to be ok. When I switch the PC on, a note:

sec master atapi incompatible

appears. can't do anything. the pc asks me to reboot but there's no way to do it. a note :

Boot Failure
Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device
appears.

don't know how to get to bios to trigger the autodetection option the lable on my HDD is talking about.

Moreover, when wanted to give up, i tried to connect the old HDD again, wouldn't work either with the same note, same result.

Please help :-(

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 28 May 2008 - 05:18 PM

What kind of computer is this? Please list the make and model if its a store bought or online ordered pc. Please list the make and model of the motherboard if its a custom unit. Also include the make and models of the HDD.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 28 May 2008 - 05:20 PM

What devices are on the one cable?

How many IDE/SATA cables do you have connected?

The message re the Sec Master...indicates (possibly) that a jumper setting is incorrect or that a drive may have a loose connection to either the motherboard or the PS.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000392.htm

The message about boot media...would suggest (to me) that your primary boot option set in the BIOS...is something other than your C: partition.

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#4 marketa.presto

marketa.presto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 05:54 PM

Thank you for your replies - here is the data

The message about boot media...would suggest (to me) that your primary boot option set in the BIOS...is something other than your C: partition. - is there anything I could do about it now then?

kind of computer - don't know, can't tell - it's my boyfriends who bought is used from his friend
make and model of the motherboard if its a custom unit - don't know how to tell, on it, there is an inscription P6S5AT and a logo- a U in a circle
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200.9, 120 Gbytes (the "new" one I wanted to add)
- Western Digital WD400, WD Caviar SE / IDE, 40 GB
What devices are on the one cable?

How many IDE/SATA cables do you have connected? - depends what I am currently trying - after all, I'd just like to resume the original status (at first at least) meaning- 1st IDE cable - WD HDD on the last connector, 2nd IDE cable - DVDdrive (curiously, the cables were originally swapped and it worked perfectly)

The message re the Sec Master...indicates (possibly) that a jumper setting is incorrect or that a drive may have a loose connection to either the motherboard or the PS. - i tried not only following the labels on the HDDs but also any other setting - maybe loose connection - will doublecheck later today (it's 1 am here and have to give some lecture later this morning but gonna get back)

System manufacturer and model? - used to be win xp

#5 marketa.presto

marketa.presto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 07:06 AM

Hello, so I gathered all information I could:
There used to be 2 PC’s that I yesterday messed up:
PC no 1:
System manufacturer: ECS
System model: P6S5AT
Processor: x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 10 Genuine Intel 1002 Mhz
Bios system, date: American Megatrends Inc. 062710, 15.7.1997
SMBIOS version: 2.3
Start up device: \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Hardware Abstraction Layer: version = “5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)”
HDD: Western Digital WD400, S/N: WMAM9D432319
WD Caviar SE / IDE, 40 GB
HDD controller: IDE ATA/ATAPI
- has one 80 IDE datacable I’d say (has colour connectors) – connected to IDE1 connector on the MB
- and one 40 pin IDE cable in IDE2

PC no 2:
System manufacturer: Compaq
System model: Deskpro EP/SB Series
Processor: x86 Family 6 Model 6 Stepping 2 Genuine Intel 349 Mhz
Bios system, date: Compaq 686T2, 24.7.1998
SMBIOS version: 2.1
Start up device: \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Hardware Abstraction Layer: version = “5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)”
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.9, S/N: 3LSOH8LN, 120 Gbytes
HDD controller: IDE ATA/ATAPI

I want to use both HDD's in the 1st PC with the better processor and put there another DVD drive. Could you please anyone send any guidelines re:
- what should I connect to what by what
- does it metter if the jumper is upside down? What is the right position then?
- should I move the jumper so that I make the DVD drive Slave?
- does it metter what power cable and which connector I use for master/slave? and how many power wires should be pluged in the DVD drive - seems 2 could be there two (one of them would be thinner with only 3 wires)

What shall I do?
Thank you all again

Edited by marketa.presto, 29 May 2008 - 07:19 AM.

#6 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 09:47 AM

Run the DVD drive on its own IDE cable or jumpered properly on a cable with a CD rom/burner whatever you got. Run the HDD's on another IDE cable, The original HDD for that machine on the Primary cable position jumpered to Master. The HDD you canabalized on the secondary cable position jumpered to Slave. Set your BIOS boot order to 1)DVD drive 2)Primary master. If it still won't boot then make the primary master the first and take a look at your optical drives.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,388 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 10:24 AM

<<Set your BIOS boot order to 1)DVD drive 2)Primary master.>>

I don't think so. The only reason to do this would be if the OP was trying to install an O/S. If there was any mention of that, I missed it and you can write it up to my slipshod habits :thumbsup:.

If Windows is properly installed on a hard drive, that hard drive should be the 1st boot option in the BIOS.

Louis

#8 marketa.presto

marketa.presto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 01:56 PM

I will try and do exactly what you advise!

#9 marketa.presto

marketa.presto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 02:15 PM

Smurfgod! hamluis! It works! Right at the first try! You made the impossible happen! Thank you so much! I can only screw it in now and tidy up the cables, screws, screwdrivers and scissors all around and go to bed for today!

THANK YOU VERY VERY V E R Y MUCH!!!

Kind and kindest regards from the running PC,

Marketa

#10 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 02:22 PM

Glad it worked out for ya bud.

Louis, the only reason I said it that way is because that's how i have mine, in case something goes wrong and have to boot from repair or live disk. there aren't that many bootable cd/dvd's that could screw him up by doing it that way, but not remembering if he has to repair windows could be a pain in the butt.

#11 marketa.presto

marketa.presto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 04:01 PM

Well, I am actually she...

Just for your info: I didn't change any boot order (hope there'll be no problems any time in the future though). I just plugged all as Smurfgod suggested and was informed that I actually need to keep tapping DEL (seems silly to me in the 21st century getting to the BIOS like that) to get to Bios - and then I simply had to install both HDD's and the DVD drive and suddenly - Windows opened. But yesterday, it was a horror and my flat seems as if there was battle. I will drink to you guys now.

Well done!

Edited by marketa.presto, 29 May 2008 - 04:07 PM.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,388 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 05:20 PM

Understood, Smurfgod...I know that's the way that many of us have it set up :flowers:. I was just trying to keep it as simple as possible and eliminate any attempt to boot from the optical drive.

Well done, Marketa.presto, :thumbsup:, happy computing :trumpet:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users